Intel 536EP Problems ~ Mandriva 2006 [solved]

Guest BlackxxJapan

Guest BlackxxJapan

Ok...so I'm going through the long process of trying to get my Intel 536EP modem to work with my Mandriva 2006...but I'm have some difficulties. HardDrake picks up the modem as "Unknown", so it has no module. Obviously I went to Intel's site to see if there was Linux drivers. There was, but not for Mandriva. So I got the next best think~ Mandrake 10.1 drivers. I unzipped the .tar file, then preceded to do what I was told. On Konsole, I changed to the proper directories, then started what should've been a three command installation of the drivers. First, "make clean" came off without a hitch. Number two step was "make 536", which also went correctly. However, "make install" was the killer. I got the following message:

[root@localhost intel-536EP-2.56.76.1]# make install

rm -f /etc/hamregistry.bin

bash Intel536_inst

running kernel 2.6.12-12mdksmp

installing hamregistry, used for persistant storage

installing Intel 536 driver

mandrake Intel536_boot script

starting module and utilities

error loading Intel536

ERROR: Module Intel536 does not exist in /proc/modules

done

I have no idea how to fix this error...any help is apperciated!

This modem installation is pretty important, since I want to be able to go online with Mandriva.

Okay, I did some researches on your problem and you ran into a pretty nasty modem, from what I read on the net. Many people had problems to get that one running. Now let's take a look at possible steps you could take.

First of all, you need to check if the version number of the "kernel-source" RPM (you need the kernel sources for compiling this, so if they are missing, install them now) is identical to that you have currently installed when you boot up. It is this kernel against which the installer is building the module. If the kernel sources don't match your kernel or if the sources are missing altogether, that discrepancy could account for this behavior. If the sources don't match the kernel, then usually the module will successfully build but the "insmod" will fail later.

Now as you build against the sources, the module should later be loaded with modprobe automatically when you boot up. If modprobe does not work, you should try to load the module with insmod manually. In the terminal, it is best to read the man pages for insmod and modprobe before you try to force the loading of the module in any way. (type "man insmod" and scroll around; press "q" for exiting the manual).

That is about all I can add here right now. Maybe it helps. Good luck.

PS: Welcome aboard :)

Guest BlackxxJapan

"First of all, you need to check if the version number of the "kernel-source" RPM (you need the kernel sources for compiling this, so if they are missing, install them now) is identical to that you have currently installed when you boot up. It is this kernel against which the installer is building the module. If the kernel sources don't match your kernel or if the sources are missing altogether, that discrepancy could account for this behavior. If the sources don't match the kernel, then usually the module will successfully build but the "insmod" will fail later."

I don't believe any of that will be an issue.

However, can you explain to me the error message I'm getting?

EDIT: insmod is saying that there's an unknown symbol in 536.ko or something. Not sure what I can do about that.

Edited by BlackxxJapan

"First of all, you need to check if the version number of the "kernel-source" RPM (you need the kernel sources for compiling this, so if they are missing, install them now) is identical to that you have currently installed when you boot up. It is this kernel against which the installer is building the module. If the kernel sources don't match your kernel or if the sources are missing altogether, that discrepancy could account for this behavior. If the sources don't match the kernel, then usually the module will successfully build but the "insmod" will fail later."

I don't believe any of that will be an issue.

Well.. it is an issue if it isnt right. I would check it if I were you. Seriously.

However, can you explain to me the error message I'm getting?

EDIT: insmod is saying that there's an unknown symbol in 536.ko or something. Not sure what I can do about that.

What's the error? Copy paste it here.

Been a while, but I was able to get 536EP to install on 10.0 and 10.2 but have not tried 2006.

Don't know about 2006, but Mandrake does not come with kernel sources installed and they need to be.

try - "urpmi kernel-source"

Also previous post is correct. You need to have the exact drivers for the exact modem for the exact kernel/distro version.

I believe gcc package needs to be installed.

Kudos to your project. May I suggest that even if you get this modem going, an external serial port (not USB) hdwr modem may generally be a better choice because:

1. NO DRIVERS REQUIRED

2. They are generally FASTER than the 536EPs that I've installed

3.They can be had for $5 or less at many thrift shops.

good luck

Guest BlackxxJapan

YAY! I fixed it! There's actually a very new driver that Intel released on the 13th. That seemed to do the trick X3

Thanks for the help!

I'm on Linux right now ;D Buuuut, can anyone tell me how to sign off? ^^"

Guest braccobaldo

Hello, I am having the same problem with this modem!

Can you please tell me where you got the Intel driver ? (I went in the Intel site but found only the Mandrake 10.1 driver!

Thank you in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BlackxxJapan

dmaravankin wrote:

I could install the Intel536ep modem with Mandriva 2006 Free.

I just downloaded the lastest driver Intel realeased (it is the Intel-536EP-4.71.tgz in intel's page) and installed them following the instructions in readme.txt

Good Luck!

----

Another user helped me in the Mandriva Club! That driver worked for me =D