Server and router configuration

Shayner

I don't really have any documentation as such but it would be pretty simple to create a router. I'm assuming you want to use a machine with Mandrake/Mandriva installed as a router.

Can you explain more of the situation, then I can explain how you can make the machine act as a router? What is your hardware, do you have two network cards or one? Do you want it to act as a router for internet connections? If so, how is your internet connection provided, router or usb modem?

OK, normally routing is enabled by default in Mandrake/Mandriva. You can check with:

[ian@europa ~]$ cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

if it reports 1 then ip forwarding is enabled. Since you'll use a USB modem, then what you want to do next is make sure the firewall is enabled to protect your connection. So, System/Configuration/Configure Your Computer/Security. Go into the Firewall option, and enable the firewall. It will then ask you which device it should be protecting, so select the USB modem since this is the incoming device from the internet.

You can then check under one of the options here, I think networking and there should be an internet connection sharing wizard. If not, do:

urpmi drakwizard

and then relaunch Configure Your Computer and check again. Run this to sort out the internet connection sharing. After this, you need to make sure all your machines use the Linux machine as your default gateway for it to work.

This is based on using Mandrake/Mandriva and not another distro.

• 3 weeks later...

What was the second NIC for?

As far as the modem - you should simply be able to use a network cable instead of the USB, which, btw, would be faster too (except that your ISP probably isn't going to give you internet at 100MB/s ;) )

What was the second NIC for?

As far as the modem - you should simply be able to use a network cable instead of the USB, which, btw, would be faster too (except that your ISP probably isn't going to give you internet at 100MB/s ;) )

Its going to be a router, so 1 network cable comes from the modem, and the second goes out to the switch... :thumbs: