Problem with other partitions and hard disk...

wakish

I'm having 2probblems:

1) I have a common NTFS partition. from Windows both read/write is possible. But from Linux, i can only read but not write to it, that is, i cannot modify files in that partition nor can i save any files or folders to it.

How should i set this?

2) I have connected another hard drive, but i cannot see it in "Devices" on Desktop. I want to see it so that i can read/write to it.

PLease can anyone help me with these 2probs? Thanks for your time!

Regards!

1) I have a common NTFS partition. from Windows both read/write is possible. But from Linux, i can only read but not write to it, that is, i cannot modify files in that partition nor can i save any files or folders to it.

How should i set this?

Linux does not currently support writing to an NTFS partition. Though it is being worked on, it is not stable in the least. This is due to the fact that MS won't allow people to see the code necessary to make it possible, instead, Linux users are forced to attempt to backward engineer it. It is best to create a FAT32 partition for this.

2) I have connected another hard drive, but i cannot see it in "Devices" on Desktop. I want to see it so that i can read/write to it.

Is this an external USB drive or an internal IDE drive?

sorry i made a mistake, so i correct it as follows:

1) My Common partition is FAT32 and not NTFS!

2) And about the 2nd hard drive it is internal!

I remember when i first installed Mandriva, it detected the 2nd internal drive, but yesterday when i re-plug the 2nd hard drive for back-up, it does not detect it..

Can anyone help please?

FAT32 cannot even hold any sort of file permissions, so the only factor that can deny write access to it is being mounted suid root ( in short: you should be able to write on that partition as-it-is as root, or as plain user by changing your fstab and remounting).

If your second harddrive does not show up, then its improperly connected, or jumpered.

1) please can you tell me how to change the fstab?

2) But in Windows, i can see the 2nd hard drive, so it is properly connected.

The jumper is set to "cable select as always.

I don't know why this time, mandriva is not showing it.

BUT when i go in hardrake, i see the 2nd hard drive, so why is it not shown in Devices on Dektop?

BUT when i go in hardrake, i see the 2nd hard drive, so why is it not shown in Devices on Dektop?

Because there is no fstab entry.

Do not use "cable select" for your devices, set it as master or slave, accordingly.

Does the harddisk show under harddrake as /dev/hdb or it has another device name?

Is it just one FAT32 partition using the whole drive? How big is it?

Finally after a long time struggling, i came to solve the prob :P

I did the following:

1) Just had to login as root and change the "rights" of the partition in the 'fstab' (at last i came to know what it is)

2) again i login as root and just had to "mount" the 2nd internal hard-drive and give rights accordingly.

I thank all the people above for their precious guidance! :thumbs:

Regards!

~~~ Solved! ~~~