cannot burn cd or dvd in 2006

Guest jolphil

Guest jolphil

Hi all,

I had the distro operating as installed but after trying to get the video players to play dvd's somehow i lost the cdrom icon from my devices icon on the kde desktop..I created a device shortcut on my desktop..I was unable to create the cdrom device back into my device file on the desktop..Not sure why? My new shortcut will play cd/dvds and I finally got my drake config to install and uninstall from my downloaded free dvd disk..The last hurtle is to get the burner software to work..

Each time I try to burn a cd or dvd either k3b(my favorite that worked B4 my mess-up) or X-cd roast I get an error..It seems to not be able to get the buffer working but I really do not understand why..

I have uninstalled cdrecord-k3b and then reinstalled them but it's the same thing..

Can anyone help here? Please let me know what information you need to

help diagnose the problem..

I just got the whole distro working the way I like it and would not want to reinstall the entire system if I can help it..

Thank You,

jolphil

Go into the kde "configure my desktop" and run k3b setup. It is also found in the multimedia menu as k3b setup (I think). This sets up burn groups or establishes the necessary permissions for burning. When you run this, make sure the necessary parts are all installed. It will tell you if there are any you need. This is a "burner" type of problem and not a system problem, so reinstalling will not do anything.

Guest jolphil

Hi,

Thanks guys..

I did open the k3b set up but do not know what to do after that..I compared the setup with another mandriva2006 OS

and did see some differences in permissions..paths were the same..

I have to go away for a few days but when I return I will get back to this forum and I will point out the differences to give

you more information..

Very confusing for me..

Thanks again and I will be back..

jolphil

Hi jolphil

Can you burn CD´s as root? (Make yourself root in a console and start k3b by typing "k3b". If yes, the following procedure should fix your problem:

When you are in the setup window of k3b: there is an entry near the top of the window that says "use burning group" or something similar. Aktivate it (checkbox) and name the burning group "cdwriter". A group "cdwriter" exists in MDK2006 from the start. Now make yourself member of that group with userdrake: double-click at your username and a window pops-up where you can choose different groups to join.

After that burning as normal user should work.

Have fun,

tl017

I think your problem may be the cache that k3b sets up.

It normally sets it up in your account. Often the space in your account is insufficient for the material you are trying to burn.

I suggest you create an empty Folder called k3b-cache in a partition that has 7 or 8 Gbs of free space. Then go into k3b and Setttings and Misc and then set Default Temporary Directory to the location of that newly created k3b-cache folder.

Try this out, it just may solve your problem.

Cheers. John.