The Big SATA problem

Des Kinsman

OK,

My MB is an Abit TH7-Raid.

I am not using the onboard raid controller. It is the Silicon Image 3112 SATA raid controller card I am using.

I am not interested in the raid capabilities.

The IDE Drive is connected to the Primary output.

On the secondry IDE I have my two CD/DVD drives.

I do hope this gives you the necessary information.

Many thanks for your interest.

Des Kinsman

Linux SATA support is constantly improving and changing. Some controllers work awesomely, others not so much.

You dont exactly detail your problem. How do you mean 'they dont install'. Do they start up? Do they crash at one stage or another? Without more information, we cant actually fix the problem. Heck, in some distros the problem may even be unrelated...

Error messages are great, any output from the kernel is great, especially if it has errors. More information is needed than "they dont install"

James

Edited by iphitus

What happens in say the ten lines before it? is there anything after it?

With Mandriva after a short time, actually it is directly after the licence accepting agreement it says "Installing driver for hard drive controller Silicon Image Sil3112a Serial ATA".... drectly after that it says "Disabling IRQ #10" and then nothing more.....it hasn't crashed, the mouse still works but it will not go any further. That is basically common to all Distros, apart from Mandrake 10.0......I'm assuming it is because it does not recognise the controller.

It looks as if there is not an answer to this problem of mine............unless......how about if I get a SATA to IDE converter? So I am using the IDE bus rather than this Silicon SATA controller which is causing the problem.

Has anyone had experience with this configuration. Or could someone recommend a SATA controller which would not cause any problems.

Kind Regards

I run two SATA HD's on a dull onboard controller (Intel) witout any issues, altough I had to upgrade the mainboard BIOS to get rid of some annoying hard lockups.

Your controller IS supported (module sata_sil - there's also a module sata_sil24 which doesn't look to fit your hardware) even by the old (2.6.12) Mandriva kernel, but to install properly you must first do things easy for you:

- Unplug all the unneeded peripherals, for as long as the installation lasts.

- Disable "PnP OS", "legacy USB", soft RAID and likely ACPI within the system BIOS... many of them can be enabled later.

- Update the mainboard and SATA controller BIOS to the latest one.

"Disabling IRQ #10" hints an ACPI problem, but better try all of the above to save some time- you can spot what was wrong later...

Edited by scarecrow

When there is an IRQ problem and you are using an add-in PCI card, it usually means you MUST try the card in a different slot. I have found that often it is the audio card that actually causes the problem and it usualy requires a bit of experimental moving of the cards until they all agree with one another. When I added a Firewire card, I had all sorts of boot up problems and stability problems until I finally found the slots for the Audio card and the Firewire card where there was no more conflict. Sine I have built my own machines for the past 5 yrs I have regularly found this to be a problem. Unfortunately most people incorrectly believe that all you do is plug the card/cards into an available slot/slots. Worse is that the card makers don't say anything to the contrary.

Also you were advised to disable Plug n Play in the Bios. All you replied was that the Bios was set correctly but you did not say whether you adopted that advice. It is essential that you do.

John.

Edited by AussieJohn