Samba problems

Guest main()

Guest main()

Sorryfor posting this problem... there probably a topic discussing it but I haven't been able to find it.

I have setup samba on Mandriva 2006.0 everything was working fine until I updated the distro.. including samba and most of the packages that came with the distro. After that some functionality stopped working, managed to fix some, but this one.

I have go through the whole process of setting up samba from the bottom. Reinstalling and it will not display the workgroups properly. I changed the default one MDKGROUP to NETWORLD. I have not added CUPS support (took CUPS out of the startup chkconfig --leve 2345 off)

I am able to get to the other machines by doing smb://<ip> but it can't resolve the names, I have checked the domain controller and nothing has changed since the las time that I could access the network. I have just ran out of ideas on how to get it working again.

What I normally do is edit /etc/hosts and put all my windows machines and ip's in here. That way, it should easily resolve the hostname without samba trying to do it all for you.

Hope that helps.

Guest main()

that doesn't really work when i have around 100 pc's to add to the hosts file. We run a windows 2003 server as a domain controller and there are around 4 or 5 bridges (no routing capabilities) spreaded around. I tried to make samba join the regular workgroup but that doesn't seem to be working properly. If I join that then I would get name resolution. I have tested everything with other machine that has not joined the domain and it works just fine with it... so I must of done something wrong to my configuration.

In the mean time I suppose that I'm going to have to do what you told me. Add some hosts to my /etc/hosts . What about the /etc/samba/lmhosts ?

Thanks a lot for helping me!!! KEEP DOING IT!!! :D

Something that I didn't mention that might make it more intresting... is that I'm trying to get this going because I need to have cups print over samba. After this I'm going to be moving this computer and replacing that 2k3 server.

Edited by main()

Ah, sorry thought you just meant for one or two machines :o

OK, have you got swat installed? This is web interface to manage samba. Maybe give this a go, and check/reset samba config this way. I can only think something must be going wrong somewhere.

Sometimes MCC/Configure Your Computer doesn't always do what you think it should for configuring things. Not sure which way you're configuring be it here, editing text config or swat. But try swat, I've used this before, works OK.

Guest main()

ok I think I have it almost solved. I put the domain controller as a browser server and changed the mount type to CIFS, since it is a 2k3 server.

That has solved part of the problem I'm working on it right now. I'll post the full fix after I'm done.

ok I think I have it almost solved. I put the domain controller as a browser server and changed the mount type to CIFS, since it is a 2k3 server.

That has solved part of the problem I'm working on it right now. I'll post the full fix after I'm done.

You might need to use the WINS server support for resolution if you are not running DNS. If you are then you probably need to edit the resolv.conf to use DNS first.