Lisa

ferao

Hi,

I have some problems with LISa, I mean the LAN Informations Server.

I don't know very mutch what's LISa for, nor why I have this installed, but I now that it causes me a lot of troubles.

Sometimes I find that my network connectivty is suddenly lost. Sometimes I find that one of my games that used to play smoothly, now is very slow. By looking at KSysGuard I found out that when one of these two events happens, the LISa daemon is taking up 80-95% of my cpu.

I had the very same problem with Mandrake 10.0 and Mandriva 2006.

The solution I found is simple: I disable LISa from the System Services. Or better I don't install it at all, if I remember. In this way the problems mentioned before does not presents again.

But is this the right solution? What I miss this way? Is this LISa so useless?

Is there a way for preventing it from doing harm to my connectivity or to my games without loosing its services (services I don't know what are for)?

Thank you. You are right, I can keep things this way. I'm happy without lisa.

I only would like to know what I am missing.

I other words: what is this lisa supposed to do?

I tried to google for it in Google Linux, but as there are many other meanings of the word, I could find few infos, I only found that is part of kdenetworks.

Now you tell me that it is useful for accessing windows PC.

Can I have a bit more infos?

Thank you for the link, now I understand lisa better. As I don't have lisa installed, the protocol lan:/ in konqueror is "unknown".

Now I know that I can live without it, and I also can try to set it up properly.

In the site I found this:

In the configuration file of LISa you provide a range of IP-addresses which LISa should check wether they are running. In the most simple case this could be your network address/subnetmask, then LISa would check every possible host of your network wether it is up.

Now, the subnet mask of my home network is 255.0.0.0. If I understood the quote, it seems that my lisa had to issue more than 16 millions of pings to check my network. Maybe this is why it uses so much cpu and it hangs my network. I will try to reinstall it and set the config file with a smaller range of addresses.

Edited by ferao