Novell beefs up the Linux GUI

fahd

Can we see such development (XGL) in Mandriva Linux. As a Linux fan and committed user I doubt that the present and actual Linux GUI can be powerful and attractive than Vistas Aero desktop. I wish that Mandriva will include XGL in its next release Mandriva Linux 2007. Hopefully Mandy 2007 will make a different development and more serious stuff than increasing KDE, GNOME, Kernel and others ver. numbers. Just do the best.

Fahd

XGL isn't even close to stable, and that's why Mandriva won't be putting it into a stable release. Right at the top of the info page it states:

It is at an early stage in development and a number of important pieces are still missing. Xglx is the only server yet that use this architecture, it requires an already existing X server and is only intended for testing and development.
emphasis mine

I think both GNOME and KDE can compete with Vista. I've used Vista. I'm not terribly impressed with it. And Enlightenment DR17 is also looking pretty damned sweet.

But, if you REALLY want to try to convince Mandriva to change things, perhaps you should go to their website and possibly even join cooker since no one who regularly posts here (there have been a few but they disappeared) is a Mandriva employee.

Actually they will use Xegl which is a bit modified version of XGL from what I read it doesn't need a separate X server to run but it needs drivers it only works on some ancient Radeon cards yet. But I don't know how will they do it since giving away prepackaged closed source drivers is clearly opposing to their packaging policy. So either the free version won't have this which sucks or they change policy which is unlikely.

cooker thread about Xegl

Article in Free Software Magazine : Accelerated X flame wars! - maybe not