2 hardware configs on 1 portable HD?

aweller

Dear all,

I am trying to be clever: I have a Western Digital Passport 40Gb 2.5" USB external drive for my Mandriva 2006.0 (download) 'system'. Something I plan to plug in anywhere and just use (making sure I make regular back-ups!).

At present, I want to use this on 2 machines: Dell Dimension 5000 and IBM ThinkVision something-or-other, both with differing hardware configs (wired/wireless LANs, graphics, monitor, etc.). However, when I switch between machines I still have to independently configure some hardware, even though I have set them up before.

Is there a way to save each hardware config, so that I can literally plug my 'system' in anywhere (without having to reconfigure each time I return to a previously configured machine)?

Any pointers/hints/suggestions/help would be VERY MUCH appreciated.

Kind regards, Andy

Don't know if this will work for your monitor or not. But, check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf settings for the Section "Monitor" item. These will probably be configured for your IBM monitor.

Then, reboot onto your other machine. Add an item to the xorg.conf called identifier "Monitor2" and put your IBM monitor settings under this section, leaving identifier monitor1 for your other machine.

Then modify the following section called Section "Screen". In here, you will already see it pointing to monitor1, so add "monitor2" to the end of this Monitor line, and see if it works any better.

Not sure, never tried, but worth a shot.