Losing network connection when reboot [solved]

biikman

New to Linux, but so far really enjoying the experience. I've installed Mandrake 10.1, and so far have been able to figure out most of the issues I've had. One has me stumped though. I have a cable connection to the net, using a static ip:

Vendor: ‎Realtek

Description: ‎RTL-8139 NIC

static ip: 192.168.1.101

netmask 255.255.255.0

gateway: 192.168.1.1

each time I reboot I need to remove and create a new network connection in order to get back online. When booting it doesn't show any errors when detecting the NIC card and starting the connection. But once booted up the network icon is "x"ed out. If I right click the network icon and select reconnect nothing happens. Once I create a new network connection all comes back and is ok till the next reboot.

I've tried everything my little knowledge can think of and nothing works. I also lost the network icon in the icon panel, although once i create a new connection I do get back online without it. I would like to have it back also if possible. I'm sure I should give more tech info here but not sdure what else is needed. thanks for any help you may offer this green newbie

Solved. I installed a package that was missed when I originally installed mandrake. This seems to have done the trick. Now if I can just get my printer working on PC#2 under XP I'd be thrilled, but thats another thread. One last question though. I downloaded both Firefox andf thunderbird, and extracted them ok and they run fine from the folder on my desktop. I'm assuming that they should be put in a different directory. Which one would this be?

thanks all for the replies and help, I'm gonna stick with this and while I may not completely remove XP, I will be keeping it as boot #2 :) and learning as I go :)