All Applications in App menu disappeared

sub-zero

I I tried to install OpenOffice from the Mandriva update mirrors today, and failed, the package had a bad signature and was corrupt. Then I decided to install the latest version of wine from their rpm. I installed it, but it wouldnt appear under emulators in the menu. So I rebooted my computer and when I got back I had no applications. So I went under root to try and fix it and when I used menudrake, the root menu dissapeared as well.

The only thing on it is "run application" and nothing else. Can anyone help me?

I've alread tried that. Even Root's aplications are missing. I cant create a new root account, can I? Besides,It's missing even in xfce4 and Gnome.

[EDIT: It only works on KDE. KDE takes a lot of memory though, so can anyone help me get my Gnome and XFCE menu back?]

Edited by sub-zero

Before we start to do only CLI stuff, let's try the "newcomer-friendly" graphical approach. Log in as normal user (e.g. into IceWM) and launch a terminal (in Gnome, right click anywhere). Now log in as root (type "su", followed by password) and start e.g. Nautilus or Konqueror from there by issuing either "nautilus --browser" or "konqueror". Once a filebrowser pops up, activate "show hidden files" from the top menu. Go to /home/username. You should see lots of hidden entries now (e.g. /.gtk). Move all hidden files except your mail and webbrowser files (e.g. .evolution and .firefox) into a new folder. Then log out and log into KDE or Gnome again. The menus should be back.