ftp daemon on installation media?

Bill Lewis

Neither one is on the PowerPack 2006 DVD. During the install I checked the box for proftp but it didn't work. I looked in the rpm directories and tried the software installer tool and didn't come up with any ftp servers, just clients. I tried to install the vsftp rpm from a suse 10.0 DVD and got a dependency issue for inet-daemon(even though I have xinetd installed and running). I then forced it in with --nodeps but I got weird error messages when trying to connect from other machines. I configured vsftpd in xinetd.d just as I have on both of my other linux boxes so I'm familiar with how its done. Is there a Mandriva ftp site where I can get proftp or vsftpd.?

NEVER try to install an RPM from another distribution to your system. At best it will fail, and at worst it will install and bork a few things- more so when using --force. It was Ok when RedHat was just about the only RPM-based Linux distro, but not anymore.

You simply had after installing the system to configure your package repositories:

Say from the site http://easyurpmi.zarb.org

...and after doing so, refreshing all of them and then using the software installer, or a root shell and the simple command "urpmi vsftpd" or "urpmi proftpd". Or, if none of the two appeals to you, pure-ftpd is also available (same way).

Under Mandriva, forget the old way of handling RPM's- now you have to "urpmi" to install, and "urpme" to uninstall.

Edited by scarecrow

Thanks for the well-informed advice. Although I've been running on Linux for 12 years, I guess I'm just a Mandriva newbie:-) I've already kind of figured out about trying to rpm from another distro. Kind of sucks that different distros keep redoing rpm(and other stuff) so it's not compatible all around. I think this behavior by the various vendors contributes to why linux is still out of the mainstream. Nice to have choices, but when compatibility is compromised, is it really worth it? The urpmi stuff is totally new to me but looks like it's pretty straightforward to use. I'm sure I'll get familiar with it as I look for an ftp daemon. Thanks again.

-bill

I have used both vsftpd and proftpd with 2006 Free and Powerpack. Unfortunately, neither had it included, and you had to set up your easyurpmi repositories to get it working. This is what I found at least with my systems.