Wireless network linksys WPC54G v3 with Broadcom

Arne

Hello Guys,

Second try to setup wireles internet connection.

I used wiki howto and her is some output I believe confirm everything is OK as far as it goes.

I used the inf and sys file on the cd rom for win9x. This time I only put in the card just before I issued

"modprobe -l"

My remaining problem in short is I cannot get contact with the AP. The howto says it can be ether or one of: "the radio is turned off on the card or the AP is not broadcast SSID".

The reason I bought the new AP was that the previous one was a Travel router with AP mode which likely do not send SSID broadcast . The hope was that the new one in default mode was broadcast SSID. That do not seem's to be the case and this only confirm my lack of luck.

dmesg shows:

ndiswrapper: driver lsbcmnds (The Linksys Group, Inc.,02/14/2005, 3.90.36.0) loaded

PCI: Enabling device 0000:05:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)

ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 9 (level, low) -> IRQ 9

PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64

ndiswrapper: using irq 9

wlan0: vendor: ''

wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:14:bf:d8:a5:64 using driver lsbcmnds, 14E4:4318.5.conf

wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

wlan0: no IPv6 routers present

And syslog shows:

Feb 21 09:51:01 ast2 kernel: ndiswrapper: driver lsbcmnds (The Linksys Group, Inc.,02/14/2005, 3.90.36.0) loaded

Feb 21 09:51:01 ast2 kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:05:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)

Feb 21 09:51:01 ast2 kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 9 (level, low) -> IRQ 9

Feb 21 09:51:01 ast2 kernel: PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64

Feb 21 09:51:01 ast2 kernel: ndiswrapper: using irq 9

Feb 21 09:51:02 ast2 kernel: wlan0: vendor: ''

Feb 21 09:51:02 ast2 kernel: wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:14:bf:d8:a5:64 using driver lsbcmnds, 14E4:4318.5.conf

Feb 21 09:51:02 ast2 kernel: wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK; AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

Feb 21 09:51:03 ast2 ifplugd(wlan0)[4143]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.

Feb 21 09:51:03 ast2 ifplugd(wlan0)[4143]: Using interface wlan0/00:14:BF:D8:A5:64

Feb 21 09:51:03 ast2 ifplugd(wlan0)[4143]: Using detection mode: SIOCETHTOOL

Feb 21 09:51:03 ast2 ifplugd(wlan0)[4143]: Initialization complete, link beat not detected.

Feb 21 09:51:03 ast2 hal.dev[4145]: DEVNAME is not set

And iwconfig shows:

[root@ast2 lsbcmnds]# iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

sit0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any

Mode:Managed Frequency:2.462 GHz Access Point: 00:00:00:00:00:00

Bit Rate:54 Mb/s Tx-Power:25 dBm

RTS thr:2347 B Fragment thr:2346 B

Encryption key:off

Power Management:off

Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

[root@ast2 lsbcmnds]# iwlist wlan0 scan

wlan0 No scan results

[root@ast2 lsbcmnds]# iwconfig wlan0 essid 'ESSID'

[root@ast2 lsbcmnds]# iwlist wlan0 scan

wlan0 No scan results

Since I have xp in dual boot on the desktop I could perhaps run the setup on the AP and start the broadcasting og SSID, but if the radio in the bus card is off this will not help. Since I have tried with 2 different AP's it maybe is the radio turned of thing. Wiki have no advise on this as far as I can see.

One thing I have not done is to setup the lan connection 'wlan0' since I believe ndiswrapper have done that already.

In this country its almost impossible to return something like card and AP so this adventure start to become expensive so I really cross my fingers now.

Any tip/advise to help

The broadcom chip is

Chipset: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 802.11/g Wireless LAN pciid: 14e4:4318

and the pciid is:

05:00.0 Class 0280: 14e4:4318 (rev 02)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Arne,

First off, has the wireless access point been configured? With mine, I had to connect using my ethernet connection, and in the manual it mentioned what IP address was assigned. Then I could configure it so that everything was OK. In fact, on mine, I changed the ESSID so that the access point was called WLAN. Normally they are set to something like Netgear, or Linksys or similar, which is a bit of a giveaway for people who connect, to get around the system.

Then, once configured, try the wireless card and see how you get on. You mentioned Windows, so I assume you have a dual boot system? If that's the case, test with Windows, and once you're confident the connection is working, then reboot into Linux, and continue from there and see how you get on.

From your post above, it seems that ndiswrapper is working since the wlan0 is there in the iwconfig. Also, do an "lsmod | grep ndiswrapper" to verify that the module is loaded OK. This will help to verify that wlan0 is OK.

We're close, honestly. It's just getting the unit to communicate. The wireless access point will have security options, such as WEP/WPA-PSK, etc, etc, which you can see from your dmesg above and what your card supports. For now, just test without security, you can secure it later. If you do secure, use wpa-psk with wpa_supplicant which you can install with urpmi command.

But let's work with the basics first and go from there. And don't buy any more equipment if it's hard to return. We'll get it working, it just might take a bit of time.

Here is the one you ask for and it's fine right?

[root@ast2 arne]# lsmod | grep ndiswrapper

ndiswrapper 169460 0

usbcore 100572 4 usb_storage,ndiswrapper,uhci_hcd

It is the desktop I have dual boot with XP. Maybe only to install the basic broadcasting SSID should be possible to do on XP. What do you think?????

Yes, just check it and find out what it is, or change to something like WLAN, and then make sure all is working.

Do you have wireless access from desktop PC? If so, test here as well to make sure wireless from Windows is OK. If not, then we can check/test in Linux with ndiswrapper.

Also, make sure no security is set. There will be options for WEP, WPA-PSK, etc, etc, so make sure it's disabled, then it will allow anything to connect. It can then be secured later.

Ian,

Done like this:

Device name: linksys WAP54G (default)

Password: *********************

Network: static IP

IP address: 10.0.0.6

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 (default)

Default gateway: 10.0.0.2 (routers IP address)

SSID: linksys (default)

Network mode: G-only (my card is G card)

Security setting: disabled

I put the card into the notebook where ndiswrapper is active.

I ping 10.0.0.4 (notebook) and 10.0.0.2 (router) and 10.0.0.6 (AP) and finally 10.0.0.8 (desktop) and get

Network is unreachable.

Detection mode in syslog is SIOCETHTOOL. is this the correct one? is it other modes to try?

iwlist wlan0 scan after iwconfig wlan essid 'ESSID" gives

wlan0 No scan results

I don't get it, whats missing????

Edited by ianw1974

Replace 'ESSID' with 'linksys' as you need to specify the name of the access point, unless of course it's called ESSID. The first essid is OK, but the one in the quotes needs to be the current wlan access point name.

In /etc/ndiswrapper/ I have 5 different 'conf' files. They have the same size but different names. Could it be an error her???

I am looking around and wondering what is wrong.

Could it be my old notebook from 1999 not able to handle the wireless???

I have NT inf and sys files I can try instead of the 9x series I have tried

I deleted the 9x drivers and installed the NT info and sys files.

The result is the same and in the end run 'ifconfig wlan0 up'

but No link beat detected.

The whole ting look like ra0 problem I had before.

Since I actually have a pci adapter on my desktop where I have XP maybe I can try to configure the card with the installation CDrom that come with the card. Any tip on that?????

I normally use the WinXP drivers for my card, most people seem to recommend using these when I've seen posts or howtos on this.

If you have WinXP drivers, try these, or the Win2000 ones and see how they fare.

The different conf files are probably created when using differing drivers with ndiswrapper, etc, etc. Only one would be read at any one time, the others will be backups from when a new card was introduced, or if the ndiswrapper -i was issued a few times.