SATA install.... again

Guest vslayer

Guest vslayer

well it seems like everyone has the same problem, but i havent seen an actual fix for the problem yet.

so how do i make it recognise my SATA drives? where would i put the drivers if i was to find them, and would i have to install them manually?

I used the "noapic" boot option to get Mandriva installed on my Via-based system because it would hang during install where the sata controller drivers were being loaded. I have two sata hard drives I use for storage, with Linux on a pata drive.This is what I did after an upgrade to 2006 rc1 caused me to lose the sata drives:

After making the appropriate entries in /etc/fstab:

/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda6 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/data1 auto user,noauto 0 0

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/data2 auto user,noauto 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda5 swap swap defaults 0 0

...and creating the mount points:

mkdir /mnt/data1
mkdir /mnt/data2

I got my sata drives recognised by adding this:

/etc/init.d/harddrake restart
mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1
mknod /dev/sdb1 b 16 1
mount -t reiserfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/data1
mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/data2

These two sata drives were recognized, configured and running fine after installing 2005le. When I upgraded to 2006 rc1, I had to do the above.

When I did a clean install of the Christmas Club release, it all worked out of the box.

On my AMD64 system, my only hard drive is a sata 40GB Seagate. It's an nforce3-based board and I had no problems with it. 2006 x86-64 worked out of the box, as well.

HTH

lynchmob

Edited by lynchmob

Hi

I don t know if it helps but I had exactluy the same problem and I did:

on a working mdv on my SATA

lsmod| grep sata

which gave me the name of my sata driver : sata_via

then I did :

modprobe sata_via

on the mdv which could not detect sata drivers

And there we are, they were then detected, then I put that line in modprobe and it does it each time I reboot.

But I have now installed my mdv 2006 and my cooker on the SATA drive the install takes 6 minutes on my sata and 20 on the pata, I get much better results for video transcoding as well.

Hope it helps,

Stef

Excuse me, but why the fstab entry is

/dev/sda1 /mnt/data1 auto user,noauto 0 0

and ot

/dev/sda1 /mnt/data1 reiserfs user,noauto 0 0

instead?

Any particularly good reason that you let the system decide the FS?

More than that: Do these reiserfs partitions hold any data? Are you sure they are ReiserFS 3.6 and not ReiserFS 4 ( =not supported by the vanilla, or stock Mandriva kernels)?

Just this: if I decided to format the drives later, I can leave fstab alone.

Yes, of course they hold data. I access these drives on a daily basis. sda1 holds iso images and the other holds my personal data.

It's whatever version of reiserfs that came with 2005le, so I'm certain it's not ver 4.

Nope.

###########

reiserfsck --check started at Mon Feb 20 17:51:39 2006

###########

Replaying journal..

Reiserfs journal '/dev/sda1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed

Checking internal tree..finished

Comparing bitmaps..finished

Checking Semantic tree:

finished

No corruptions found

There are on the filesystem:

Leaves 4265

Internal nodes 28

Directories 14

Other files 34

Data block pointers 4308840 (0 of them are zero)

Safe links 0

###########

reiserfsck finished at Mon Feb 20 17:52:03 2006

###########

The same results for the other drive.

Guest vslayer

i tried to install it with the no apci option, but it didnt seem to have any effect. there just arent any drivers for it. im using an 'MSI K8N NEO4-F' motherboard with a nvidia chipset, and 2 seagate SATA drives(250gb,300gb).

i have a driver cd, but ive never needed to install drivers for linux before, and dont know if it will support the driver however.

how do i slipstream my mandriva cd to include the driver?

Is there a possibility the problem could be in the bios ???. Have you disabled Plug'N Play in there ???

Have you enabled the sata drives in there ???

Did you make changes in the bios when you changed from 2005-le to 2006 ???. And was the 2006 the Official version or the Community version ??? I believe there were quite a number of sata glitches in the 2006 Community version but these were resolved before the Official version was released.

I have noticed that quite a large number of problems were/and are from newbies using the Community version not knowing that it was a pre release of the 2006-Official. ALL Community releases of all version numbers are pre or experimental releases and often full of bugs.

Cheers. John.

Guest vslayer

i wasnt aware of 'community' and 'official' versions. i just hopped an bittorrent and got the one with the most seeds.

i never had 2005le, i was happily using mandrake 10 until i discovered that my new hardware was not supported.

and i cant check right now since im in the middle of a post, but last boot up im pretty sure it was enabled in my bios. besides, they are working in windows right now.

i havent changed a thing from my default bios yet, except for boot order and ram timing.

You can't compare what's working in Windows to what works in Linux. Linux requires that the BIOS is to set to Plug and Play OS because of making sure your hardware is detected correctly. There's every chance your BIOS doesn't have this option if recent, because I've found that it doesn't always exist nowadays. For example, on my laptop, it wouldn't detect the printer until I set the option in the BIOS. Sometimes you get away with it, others not so much.

Community was a test release, lots of bugs, which then became official version. Now there's just Cooker release for testing, and then LE2005 which is official, or 2006 which is currently out. Of course, if it mentions RC in the versioning, then this is a test release.