Xfishtank, where is it??

Pepse

When I recently redid my MDK 9.0, expert install, I was adding various packages to load and one was called "Xfishtank", and the description was something about it being (IIRC) a 3D aquarium possibly for the desktop. But I can't seem to find it. Anyone ever use this?? I am in KDE.

Later. Pepse.

Oh sure, Google's my homepage and I didn't even think of that. Anyway, the one thing I noticed is that there is a comment about it turning your " Xroot" into an aquarium" .? What exactly would I be doing?? I assume I go to root to run this program. Then it sounds like something for people that don't use a GUI. ?????????????

Later. Pepse.

xfishtank is on one of the 9.0 cd's.

just open a terminal>su as root> and run

urpmi xfishtank

Or, use the Software Mgr.

if you really want to do the tarball thing on a rpm based distro, look at

man tar

or

tar --help

Or, use ark, or file-roller for a gui extractor.

Well first of all, while I was waiting for my wife to get done with the 'net on her computer I looked thru some my notes and found a "basis" for tar.gz's and I went to a console and did: tar xvzf xfishtank-2.1tp.tar.gz and it it unpacked but that is about all I can say to that. I had downloaded the file and put it in a directory as to extract it there. I couldn't figure out how to get to the README file so I didn't do anything else. As for the suggestion of: urpmi xfishtank I did that and the reply is: everything already installed . Sure, great, now where is it?? I have looked thru everthing possible in my K menu and can't see anything related to that program.

Pepse.

Hmmm... try opening a terminal, and typing:

where xfish

this will tell you if you have xfish installed, and where it is installed --- here is an example, using whereis and transcode, since I don't have where or xfish

sh-2.05b$ whereis transcode

transcode: /usr/bin/transcode /usr/lib/transcode /usr/local/bin/transcode /usr/local/lib/transcode /usr/man/man1/transcode.1

sh-2.05b$

you can then use this info to modify your menus manually. I also don't have KDE installed at the moment, but there is a KDE application that finds old, non-KDE apps and adds them to the menu - kappfinder, I think it's called - I seem to remember that it locates things like xfish and xsnow and whatnot.

Well, I typed in "whereis xfishtank" and the reply is: xfishtank: /usr/X11R6/bin/xfishtank /usr/bin/X11/xfishtank . So I typed in that line and all I can say is that there was a flash in the background and the icon in "console" is in (what I call) a searching state; but nothing happened to my desktop.

Pepse.

ok, you have it. what you need to do is run man xfishtank or xfishtank --usage

one thing you might want to do right off is (I haven't done this for a while, so I don't know if it will work)

1. open a terminal

2. type xfishtank -root (maybe --root) and don't use a & or anything to put it into the background.

3. if it works great as expected, great, just send it into the background with a ctrl-z & bg [return] -- if not, just use ctrl-c to terminate it.