CD Music

AussieJohn

Since moving up from 2005-LE to 2006 Official, I have not tried to use KSCD or GRIP in relation to Audio CDs until now.

I have one version of 2006 with just all 2006 updates and another version done similarly but with the KDE3.5 from cooker. This means that I have KDE3.4 and also KDE3.5 being used

I NEVER had any troubles with 2005-LE with either playing Audio CDs in KSCD or in ripping Audio CDs in Grip.

It seems that no matter what settings I use, I cannot get the CDs to rip or to play. My /etc/fstab settings are the same as they were in 2005-LE.

I have a Pioneer DVD player on hdb and an LG DVD burner on hdd. Am I missing something somewhere or is 2006 really screwed in this area ???.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers. John.

Have you tried commenting in the /etc/fstab entries which refer to your DVD drive? (that is- no fstab entry at all).

The KDE from Cooker has a totally different automounting system than before, entirely udev based. To get it oiled and running, you will need:

- Disabling HardDrake and hotplug (actually the latter may even be forced to uninstall in the next suggested step).

- Installing the current Cooker versions of udev, dbus, hal and pmount (if not already installed).

- Running dbus (message bus) and hal as daemons, and commenting in any custom udev rules you've possibly created before.

The 3.4.X "vanilla" KDE installation should behave differently (still using hotplug). I've seen in the past problems with both hotplug and some buggy udev versions, but I don't know the status in Mandriva currently (not using that distro anymore). There you should also not need any fstab entries for your DVD-ROM, as every time you insert a medium you should get an autocreated "fstab-sync" entry for it, as well as a desktop popup/ CD iscon appearing.

Thanks for your reply Scarecrow. I don't think the problem has anything to do with kde. KSCD is the only kde package associated with the problem and GRIP of course is a Gnome package. I am going to reinstall 2005-LE in place of the 2006-official that has kde3.5 and make special note of all the settings in Grip and Kscd that allows them to work and then try those same settings in the 2006-official that has the standard kde3.4. We'll see what happens from there. I looked at all the packages you mentioned and even added the pmount package and tried commenting out the DVD/cdrom drives in /ets/fstab but none of it made any difference.

Cheers. John.

John, That is one of the reasons I had switched back to my rock solid 10.0 install. For me KSCD was cutting off the first few seconds of all songs. Don't know why. But I found that Grip worked fine as a cd player. And it was working fine for ripping also. I read a post at Linuxquestions that there have been lots of bug reports on kscd for recent releases, especially in Mandriva.

• 1 month later...
Guest moriarty

I have a similar problem with GRIP and KAudioCreator in Mandriva 2006, type in the following as "su" in command line :-

tail -f /var/log/messages

gave me kernel message "cdrom dropping to single DMA mode" while ripping audio CD's and stays in this mode until a reboot :(

Found this info with Google

2005-03-24

Having the source is useful!

This happens at least on kernel 2.6.11. When ripping scratched audio cds, the kernel cdrom module may decide to drop from multi frame dma to single frame dma mode. Single dma is slower.

When once entered single dma mode, it never goes back to multi frame again. This very small hack sets multi frame on again after a successful cdrom table-of-contents read. It only does it if we are in single-frame dma.

Locate this at drivers/cdrom/cdrom.c, at function int cdrom_ioctl():

case CDROMREADTOCHDR: {

struct cdrom_tochdr header;

if (!CDROM_CAN(CDC_PLAY_AUDIO))

return -ENOSYS;

/* cdinfo(CD_DO_IOCTL, "entering CDROMREADTOCHDR\n"); */

IOCTL_IN(arg, struct cdrom_tochdr, header);

if ((ret=cdo->audio_ioctl(cdi, cmd, &header)))

return ret;

IOCTL_OUT(arg, struct cdrom_tochdr, header);

/* cdinfo(CD_DO_IOCTL, "CDROMREADTOCHDR successful\n"); */

return 0;

}

Change it to:

case CDROMREADTOCHDR: {

struct cdrom_tochdr header;

if (!CDROM_CAN(CDC_PLAY_AUDIO))

return -ENOSYS;

/* cdinfo(CD_DO_IOCTL, "entering CDROMREADTOCHDR\n"); */

IOCTL_IN(arg, struct cdrom_tochdr, header);

if ((ret=cdo->audio_ioctl(cdi, cmd, &header)))

return ret;

IOCTL_OUT(arg, struct cdrom_tochdr, header);

/* cdinfo(CD_DO_IOCTL, "CDROMREADTOCHDR successful\n"); */

/* JN, 2005-03-24, stupid but useful hack: */

if (CDDA_BPC_SINGLE == cdi->cdda_method) {

cdi->cdda_method = CDDA_BPC_FULL;

printk("cdrom: re-enabling multi-frame dma on successful toc header read\n");

}

return 0;

}

Looks like a kernel recompile may be needed but I'm unsure what to do, still investigating.

Hope this helps Moriarty

moriarty: even if it were in the lower dma mode, it would continue to work.

AussieJohn: What's the problem you're having, you dont exactly define it. What error messages are you getting. What do you get when you run it at console?

To help, we need information and details otherwise we're simply fumbling in a darkened maze which happens too much here.

James

Guest moriarty

That true iphitus, it still works but its that slow its not usable.

Another fix is to unselect the "use direct digital playback" setting in KsCD , Extras, Configure KsCD.

This bypasses audio CPU processing via the IDE cable and uses the soundcard via the CDROM audio cable.

Which reduces load on the CPU.

Hope this helps

Moriarty

Please note that this issue would have nothing to do with mount points or mounting in general. Audio CD's are not mountable.

John: Have you checked the settings in each player to make sure it's outputting to the correct sound system? This could be arts, oss, or alsa. If you are using KDE I'd guess it's arts, my second guess would be alsa.

Another thing to check is the volume for your CD player - make sure CD is turned all the way up and not muted. I would do this with alsaconf from the command line, but there is probaby a KDE program for setting volumes.

Audio CD's are not mountable.

But they are! Just insert one in the drive, and type in Konqueror "audiocd:/" ... :P

Just joking of course- this is a virtual mount point, and not a real one. An audioCD has no filesystem (its plain RAW data tracks), and for that reason it's not mountable, unless you use some older kernel hacks, which are AFAIK all obsoleted by now.

Edited by scarecrow