Dkms Nvidia driver not working properly

Scirious

People, as I was talking to some other guy in the Networking forum Mandriva 2006 is miss behaving on my machine. First it was a problem (not yet solved) with my gaming connection speed. Now I'm also having troubles with Nvidia driver I install from URPMI repositories. Everytime I try to run anything that needs 3D acceleration (even glxgears) it kills Xserver and goes back to login screen. However tha same does not occur with the driver installed with Nvidia's installer. If I use their stock installer it just runs fine. Anyone knows why?

Thanks in advance,

Scirious.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

I have done two installations of Mandriva which had the dkms and nvidia driver. The first time it didn't work at all, and I ended up using the driver from nvidia directly.

The second time it did seem to work. I think the best method is to remove dkms and the nvidia package installed, and then just use the driver direct from nvidia.

The only nifty thing I've found about using dkms and the nvidia driver is that if you upgrade your kernel, you don't have to reinstall the nvidia driver, because it gets reinstalled into the new kernel at startup. With the nvidia driver, after a kernel upgrade, you'll end up at a prompt, and then have to install it again before you can get into X.