Internet Connection Problem

Guest gnatman

Guest gnatman

Allright I'm new to linux, and I've been trying out distros, and so far Mandrake is my favorite. I've been able to fix all my hardware issues so far except one, I can't get any connection to the Internet.

Mandrake recognizes my NIC (a 3com 3C905TX), and all the settings appear to be correct, but I'm not getting any internet connection, I can't ping anything, and my NIC isn't listed under the network connections. It's really confusing me because my NIC is given an IP address from my router. I need your expert help here. Thanks in advance.

Many times people fail to configure their network, thinking that they are not on a network. Except that the internet IS a network. So if you skipped that part of setup, your nic will have no way of getting an ip configuration.

So what Counterspy says is correct. Go into network configuration in MCC and go to it.

For those that may read this, do not have a nic, but just a simple modem dialup, you do not have to setup the network in anyway. In fact, if you have winmodem, the less network draketools you use the better off you are in most cases, and that includes not running internet, and network at boot in mcc>System>Services.

Just wanted to add that so there's no confusion for those that don't have or need "network". :wink:

Guest gnatman

I probably should have mentioned that I'm in my 3rd symester for Cisco Certification, so I'm pretty good with networks and NICs and IPs. Anyways I'll try to re-explain my situation. I started trying DHCP, and I wasn't getting any connection, I couldn't ping anything. So then I tried a static IP, but the same thing is happening, I can't ping it, it can't ping anything, The interface is listed as up in the mandrake control center, but as not connected. When I hit connect it tries to connect and seems to be doing something but never connects, doesn't send or recieve any data.

I know the NIC works with Mandrake because I pulled it out of a machine running Mandrake...So I am confused.