problem mounting partition

shams

hi,

i just installed mandriva 2006, first problem is the x is hanging so freqently, my system is i686 with 2,6 G processor and 256 mb RAM and 900 mb swap parition, i used mandrake 10 in th past and presently using fedora core 4 as well in the same machine that are runing without any problems, the second problem is, i mounted the /dev/hda6 as /store while mandriva installation, which hold my important data, when last time the gnome pannel hangs, i changed to the console with crtl+alt+f6 and reboot the system, now store is not mounted any more and i can't access the data, when i try to mount the error is:

#mount -t ext3 /dev/dha6 /store

mount: store is already mounted or store busy

then i run the umount command for /store:

#umount /store

and the result was:

mount:store is not mounted

even i tried to mount the /dev/hda6 in another mount point /mnt/tmp and got the same error:

mount: store is already mounted or tmp is busy

pleas help me.

thanks for replies this is my fstab:

# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details

/dev/hdb8 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,noauto,ro,exec,users 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/win_c vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb5 /mnt/win_d vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb6 /mnt/win_e vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hdb7 /mnt/win_f vfat umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 /store ext3 defaults 1 2

/dev/hda8 swap swap defaults 0 0

Does the directory /store exist? Is it empty? Have you tried just using this command:

mount /dev/hda6

or:

mount /store

Also, type "mount" at the prompt, and post back the results so we can see what's active and mounted.

First, get sure that the mount point ( /store ) does exist- else, create it by hand, and with the right permissions.

Second, since fstab mounts /dev/hda6 on startup it's natural to get a message "already mounted", and your umount command does not make sense (you should try umounting the device, and not the mount point!).

But well, let's start from the basics:

/dev/hda6 /store ext3 defaults 1 2

I guess you are sure the filesystem is ext3, and know why it has to be mounted as 1 2 ?

Does it really mount, or some message at bootup (also to be found at /var/log ) suggests this isn't the case?