Install belkin F5D7010 820.11G wireless pcmcia

Arne

Hi Arne,

I've had a few ideas, and I think I might know why the rt2550 keeps loading. So, let's try this.

First, check your /etc/modprobe.conf. Is there a line that matches this:

alias ra0 rt2550

If so, this is loading because when the nic card (ra0) is called at bootup, the module is being loaded. Therefore, in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts directory, I think there will be a file called ifcfg-ra0. If this is the case, then remove the alias line from modprobe.conf so that it won't get loaded, and delete the ifcfg-ra0 file from the network-scripts directory.

This should then stop the driver loading, and this interface existing. Then go with modprobe ndiswrapper, make sure the following line exists in modprobe.conf:

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

and continue following the ndiswrapper documentation with iwconfig. I think this might help, was an idea I had on my journey to Warsaw.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the Cli output before I reboot.

[root@ast2 arne]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf

install scsi_hostadapter /sbin/modprobe ata_piix; /sbin/modprobe ahci; /bin/true

install usb-interface /sbin/modprobe uhci-hcd; /bin/true

alias wlan0 ndiswrapper

[root@ast2 arne]# cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts

[root@ast2 network-scripts]# ls

hostname.d/ ifdown.d/ ifup.d/ ifup-sit*

ifcfg-eth0* ifdown-ipv6* ifup-ipv6* ifup-sl*

ifcfg-eth0~* ifdown-post* ifup-ipx* ifup-wireless*

ifcfg-lo@ ifdown-ppp* ifup-plip* init.ipv6-global*

ifcfg-ra0 ifdown-sit* ifup-plusb* network-functions

ifcfg-sit0* ifdown-sl* ifup-post* network-functions-ipv6

ifdown@ ifup@ ifup-ppp* wireless.d/

ifdown-aliases* ifup-aliases* ifup-routes*

[root@ast2 network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-ra0

DEVICE=ra0

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

ONBOOT=yes

[root@ast2 network-scripts]# rm ifcfg-ra0

rm: remove regular file `ifcfg-ra0'?

[root@ast2 network-scripts]# ls

hostname.d/ ifdown.d/ ifup.d/ ifup-sit*

ifcfg-eth0* ifdown-ipv6* ifup-ipv6* ifup-sl*

ifcfg-eth0~* ifdown-post* ifup-ipx* ifup-wireless*

ifcfg-lo@ ifdown-ppp* ifup-plip* init.ipv6-global*

ifdown-sit* ifup-plusb* network-functions

ifcfg-sit0* ifdown-sl* ifup-post* network-functions-ipv6

ifdown@ ifup@ ifup-ppp* wireless.d/

ifdown-aliases* ifup-aliases* ifup-routes*

The question 'remove the regular file "ifcfg-ra0"' confuse me. Is there unregural file with the same name or is it part of linux safety that this file is important and you should know what you are doing.

I reboot now with the card inserted.

This is the output from 'syslog' after insert the card before I reboot

Feb 20 09:23:48 ast2 kernel: ndiswrapper: driver rt2500 (Ralink Technology, Inc. ,06/10/2004, 2.02.06.0000) loaded

Feb 20 09:23:48 ast2 kernel: PCI: Enabling device 0000:05:00.0 (0000 -> 0002)

Feb 20 09:23:48 ast2 kernel: ACPI: PCI Interrupt 0000:05:00.0[A] -> Link [LNKB] -> GSI 9 (level, low) -> IRQ 9

Feb 20 09:23:48 ast2 kernel: PCI: Setting latency timer of device 0000:05:00.0 to 64

Feb 20 09:23:48 ast2 kernel: ndiswrapper: using irq 9

Feb 20 09:23:49 ast2 kernel: wlan0: vendor: 'IEEE 802.11g Wireless Card.'

Feb 20 09:23:49 ast2 kernel: wlan0: ndiswrapper ethernet device 00:11:50:90:f7:05 using driver rt2500, 1814:0201.5.conf

Feb 20 09:23:49 ast2 kernel: wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA; AES/CCMP with WPA

Feb 20 09:23:50 ast2 ifplugd(ra0)[4229]: ifplugd 0.28 initializing.

Feb 20 09:23:50 ast2 ifplugd(ra0)[4229]: Using interface ra0/00:11:50:90:F7:05

Feb 20 09:23:50 ast2 ifplugd(ra0)[4229]: Using detection mode: SIOCETHTOOL

Feb 20 09:23:50 ast2 ifplugd(ra0)[4229]: Initialization complete, link beat not detected.

Feb 20 09:24:00 ast2 hal.hotplug[4230]: timout(10000 ms) waiting for /class/net/wlan0

Feb 20 09:24:00 ast2 hal.dev[4231]: DEVNAME is not set

Feb 20 09:24:00 ast2 kernel: ra0: no IPv6 routers present

It's a timeout here and then switching back to the ra0 thing.

What's the contents of your /etc/modprobe.preload file?

The rm command does put different things depending on what you attempt to remove. If you do it on a directory, it will say it's a directory and it can't be removed, but you can use a combination of parameters to remove the directory. I think it's just normal functionality of the rm command to say remove regular file. It's like doing it in DOS, and it says do you want to delete the file Yes/No? Similar sort of thing here.

Anyway, back to the problem, post contents of modprobe.preload and I'll take a look, and then see if there is a way we can stop this module loading.

This is the content of modprobe.preload:

ndsiwrapper

nvram

sonypi

Ian,

I bought another card 'Linksys Wireless G model WPC54G' This on the compatible mdv 2006 list

I start to doubt we will get the belkin to work. I think you use Linksys, right?

I will not try this card before we have given up on the belkin.

Hi Arne,

OK, I need to check my laptop tonight, to see what I did on this. I can't remember exactly how I got the card working without the module loading all the time.

Will update tonight or tomorrow morning (10.20am here now). Unless someone else has some ideas in the meantime on how to stop this. We can't disable the device, else it won't work with ndiswrapper. Just need to figure out the module, so it doesn't load at bootup.

I presume the lsmod, still shows rt2550 as loaded.

Ian,

I bought another card 'Linksys Wireless G model WPC54G' This on the compatible mdv 2006 list

I start to doubt we will get the belkin to work. I think you use Linksys, right?

I will not try this card before we have given up on the belkin.

Ian,

"I presume the lsmod, still shows rt2550 as loaded."

yes the rt2500 is still loaded in lsmod.

Edited by Arne

My desktop with wired connection is linksys. My wireless is a minipci module installed into my Toshiba laptop which uses an Atheros Chipset. With mine I can only use madwifi or ndiswrapper. Well actually, only ndiswrapper, since madwifi is beta and doesn't work in MDV2006. So I used ndiswrapper, but I had to stop madwifi and the Mandriva module loading, which is kind of similar to the issue you're having.

Try the linksys you might have more luck with it, and return the belkin one if you can. I'm sure we could get the belkin one working, just seems like it'll take a real long time, unless I can figure out how to stop the damn module loading.

You don't need to delete in mcc, since removing the ifcfg-ra0 file does the same process.

That's all I can think of for now, until I get home to check my machine, and figure out what I did on mine.

Hello Guys,

I have put the Belkin card "on ice".

I have bought a linksys PCI bus card and a linksys Access point.

Which I believe I have more luck with.

Since I still have some issues I wonder if it is better to start a new post instead of continue her. What do the moderator say about that????

Hi Arne,

Yes probably be best in new topic since relates to a different card now. The access point will be OK regardless of what it is. It's just the card with Mandriva that is the main issue to get working. I use Netgear Access Point.

Start a new thread with your issues with the linksys, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

After several weeks struggle and great help from this forum and buying of 3 wireless cards and 2 access points I have given up getting my old Thinkpad to have a wireless Internet connection not to mention file- and printer sharing in Linux, mdv 2006.0.

I managed to get the card installed correctly but was not able to connect it to the access point and I tried 2 AP's.

I trow out 2006 and installed win98SE. I pop in the belkin CD-rom and run the installer and was told to insert the card and 2 min after I inserted the CD-rom I had a nice and fast wireless broadband connection which I use for this reply.

I find the 2006 a nightmare in wireless sense. You can use wiki, howto's and any other helping aid from people who has been successful in installation but it's not helpful when it doesn't work for you. Buying cards is pure lottery since the card manufacturer change the chip set and even with the right chip set it doesn't work.

So my advice to Mandriva is "get your act together and put down more resources and solve this main problem".

I still keep my 2006 on my desktop in dual boot with XP and wired LAN and Internet connection.