L99 99 ... LILO Boot Loader not working

lakelover

I've read many of the Q&A on boot loader problems. Following advice, here, I got out the Mandriva 2006 installation CD, went to "reinstall boot loader" and got this message:

"run_program can not output in /ropot/temp/.drakx-stderr.1347 (mode'>') lilo failed: at /usr/lib/libDrakX/boot loader.pm line 1238, <STDIN> line 1."

do I do now? Jerry

Can you be more specific. I went to "Mount your partitions under /mnt," which gave me the message "/mnt ready." I then cd'd to /mnt then to /etc but could not find lilol.conf.

Where do I go from here?

I failed to say that this problem came up after I resized my windows partition to give more to the linux partition. However, I was able to boot mandriva and to windows after the resizing, until a day after. Also, after resizing the partition linux would not closed down properly causing me to manually turn off the computer.

I really appreciate your help.

Edited by lakelover

I have my problem partially solved. I hate to say this but I paid a computer place $91 to get the boot loader working. The reason, I have a couple of projects demanding attention and I couldn't take the time to fiigure things out myself. There are still some problems, however.

I resized the xp partition to give more to a linux partition becuase it was full. The computer guy discovered that all my back ups were going on the same partition. I have an external IOMEGA drive that I've been using for backups, and did not realize that it was not being used. He couldn't give me an answer to why the backups were going on the linux partition. I have temporarily disabled the backups (I hope). By the way, one backup file was 9.9 g, and dated the day I resized the partition. I'm guessing that seeing a change in the partition Mandriva backed up the entire partition.

I also have a problem with shutting down. Mandriva doesn't want to shut down.

I'll appreciate all suggestions on these two issues. How do I setup and make sure the backups are going on the IOMEGA HD and not on the linux partition? And how do I correct the "no-shutdown" action.

It seems that all my problems started with the backup files and was then exasperated when I resized the partitions.

Jerry