FlashPlayer in 2006 free? [solved]

rogerh

Hello,

Need to install flashplayer, and I see it is on the 2006 free apps list. Can't find it on my 3 disk set or on the update source (using the install manager). Also cheched the deinstall to see if it was already lurking on the system - no). Wondering why it isn't there, where I can download an rpm version I can install via the installer, and what other plug-ins are also missing?? Has anyone else run into yhis problem...

thanks -- Roger

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

Hello,

Thanks for the reply and info. Nothing wrong with the Macromedia installer that I know about. I was wondering if realplayer was supersceeded by an alternate program or if there was a bug or other problem that caused it not to be included . I have also managed to break my system on several occasions ( a 'learning experience'), and found that if I can leverage the system installer my odds of success are greater. I am just a newbie that aspires to be a user rather than a sysprog.......hopefully that is not too un-Linuxlike :o

Regards -- Roger

Hi ,

Thanks for the tip - looked on the repositories, but with no luck. Did find an rpm on the FlashPlayer site (buried) but it was downlevel and my installer wasn't interested. Just one question before I install via the Macromedia installer - is there an issue with this not being tracked via the installer (future install conflicts)??

Thanks -- Roger

Spare yourself a lot of future aggravation and use the "Easy-Urpmi" link at the top of the page to setup main, contrib, plf-free and plf-nonfree urpmi sources. This will give you access to most of what you get in the powerpack version, excluding proprietary drivers which are generally avauilable from the vendor, eg nvidia, ati, ect. Also, you will not have to worry about dependency issues as urpmi takes care of that. IIRC the Realplayer package provides the plugin for flash. It should be in either the main or contrib repo.

Hello and thanks for the lead. I do have all the dources configured into my installer. I tried iirc, realplayer, flashplayer (even caps, for possible case sensitivity). I get search results from all categories - plf free, plf nonfree, contrib - but nothing to do with flashplayer or realplayer...... Too soon after 2006 release to see these available?? I would prefer to use the installer. Any suggestions on how to proceed??

Thanks -- Roger

so simple, yet :wall:

Hello, rogerh.

You will not find flashplayer and realplayer on any of your urpmi sources. These softwares have special licenses including some restrictions regarding to redistributions of such softwares.

The flashplugin can be downloaded at

http://macromedia.mplug.org/

The RealPlayer can be downloaded at

https://player.helixcommunity.org/2005/downloads/

Just download the rpms and double-click on them to install. The flashplugin will install to your mozilla plugin directory, which will be used by firefox automatically. The RealPlayer can be launched by running "realplay" command, you can add it to the menu by using menudrake.