Does untarred software go where it should?

Pepse

I have downloaded some software pertaining to ripping, as well as watching DVD's. I put all files in the same folder. Two RPM's and four tar.gz's. Now when I open up all of this software does it get used by the appropiate device; i.e. Mplayer and K3B? It's been awhile since I downloaded and opened any software and I just can't remember if it is OK where it's at or do I gotta move some to a different place. Sorry for the dumb questions but my brain is on vacation :screwy: .

Pepse.

The rpms will be specially built for your system, so all the files will get put in the right place with absolute paths - it doesn't matter where the rpm file is when you double-click it or rpm it.

The tar files, on the other hand, are just like zip files - they each contain a tree of directories and files but it's all relative paths. Wherever the current working directory is when you untar the file, that's where the tree of files will get untarred to. You can see which directories and files it's going to make by listing the contents of the file - either from Konqueror or by using tar -tvf <path-to-tar-file> - you'll need the install instructions to find out where it should all be untarred to.

My mind is still froze :screwy: . OK, I do unnerstand that opening the RPM's will be OK. Definately forgot that simple item. OK now just to say the tar.gz files are: acidrip , libdvdnav , libdvdread , lsdvd , regionset , transcode , and xvidcore . If I understand you I have to untar those somewhere other than the folder I downloaded them to??

For what it's worth I have a Lite-On DVD burner. Also, I am running Mandriva 2005 LE PowerPack.

Later. Pepse.

When you untar something it should create a folder for that particular zip and place it directly into the folder where the tar is located. So if you have the tars located in your download folder then the untarred folder will also be placed into the download folder. From there you should be able to move the folder wherever you want on your system with the mv command. Or I believe you can untar folders to different locations all in one step. Try typing in your normal tar commands followed by the file name, and then a space and the location you would like the new folder to be placed.

OK, I did open up my RPM's and I am able to watch DVD's again; my RPM's were " libdvdcss2-x.x.x and libdvdcss-2devel.x.x.x ". Now as for the tarred files they are needed for ripping DVD's. The reason I downloaded Acidrip is because I did some searching before I downloaded and then posted here and the consensus seems to be that Acidrip is the way to go for Linux based ripping. But I was on K3B's web and they mention the need for the files I downloaded especially " transcode "; if I want to do ripping in K3B. Now I would imagine that if I want to rip DVD's in K3B I'll have to untar the files in K3B. But I would like to try Acidrip, also. So, what I need to do is figure out how to untar these files in Acidrip and K3B. If this still looks like a mess as for what I am saying I'm sorry. My brain is getting a little better. I definately need to download tar.gz files more often to keep my brain straight. With the ease of RPM's my brains getting soft :lol: . I'm an older person and one big reason I switched to Linux is because you gotta think. And we all know that brains are not required for windoze :cheesy: .

Later. Pepse.

:wall: . OK, I untarred Acidrip and that is all I can do with it. I did the usual " tar -xzvf acidrip-0.14.tar.gz " and it untarred and then I typed " ./configure " and the reply is: bash ./configure No such file or directory . So, here is a list of what is in the folder I untarred:

acidrip-0.14/

acidrip-0.14/META.yml

acidrip-0.14/test.pl

acidrip-0.14/COPYING

acidrip-0.14/acidrip.spec

acidrip-0.14/acidrip

acidrip-0.14/AcidRip/

acidrip-0.14/AcidRip/signals.pm

acidrip-0.14/AcidRip/logo.png

acidrip-0.14/AcidRip/interface.pm

acidrip-0.14/AcidRip/messages.pm

acidrip-0.14/AcidRip/acidrip.pm

acidrip-0.14/CHANGELOG

acidrip-0.14/MANIFEST

acidrip-0.14/lsdvd-0.10.tar.gz

acidrip-0.14/TODO

acidrip-0.14/Makefile.pl

So what didn't I do? I did this in the folder I created to untar it and run from.

Later. Pepse.

Well, bash is right, there isn't a .configure file!!

This app looks to be all written in Perl so you don't get a .configure - you'd be best looking at wherever you got the tar from for some install instructions. Or try the home page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/acidrip/

I'm surprised there isn't a readme file in the package, but my first guess would be to try that file called acidrip and see what happens. I'm assuming you've got Perl, and MPlayer and MEncoder already...

I will post any info I can find from sourceforge-acidrip-HELP. Yes I have PERL, but that is a generic term. I went to MCC and looked at installable software and there are a lot of PERL related things I can install. Also, I looked at software that is installed and there is a lot of PERL related software already in my system. Should I also install everything that has PERL in it or look for something specific?

Pepse.

As long as you can type

perl -version

and get a meaningful answer, you should be good to go, and if you've already got lots of perl stuff then those chances are good. Similarly for

mplayer

- don't know anything about mencoder though, or acidrip itself.