Hald

Guest exaurdon

Guest exaurdon

Trying to look at removable Storage under System -> Config -> Hardware and states "The "hald" service is required but not currently running. Enable the service and rerun this applet, or contact your system administrator." Have haldamoen running at startup as well as Haddrake, so I'm wondering why it's saying that.

Never had a problem with it on the other linux flavors I've installed in the attempt to get one that worked without the BS ;)

Doesn't show in Devices, but does show up in Harddrake2 (My digital camera removable storage on USB.)

Speaking of that...anyone gotten the Polaroid PDC 3070 to work?

Thankees

P.S. Mandriva 2006

Edited by exaurdon

urpmi hal (will also install dbus if not already installed). Both dbus and hal should run as daemons.

HAL (with pmount) is the current defacto way of managing removable media/storage devices, as both Gnome and KDE are built with HAL support. All other mounting methods are considered obsolete for now (although noone will prevent you trying to use them, of course).

If running a very recent udev version, then neither hotplug, nor harddrake are needed at all.

Edited by scarecrow

dbus ( AKA message bus ) should be started BEFORE the haldaemon, else hal wouldn't start.

Start them either via mcc, or in a root console:

service dbus start

service hal start

(maybe the /etc/init.d scripts have different names like "message bus" and "hald", since I don't run Mandy currently I don't know exactly...)

Edited by scarecrow

Guest exaurdon

Try this another way. This is what Harddrake comes up with, but I have no way to access that directily without some sort of mounting going on.

Identification

Vendor: ‎Sunplus Co Ltd

Description: ‎Polaroid Digital Camera

Disk identifier: ‎Polaroid Digital Camera

Media class: ‎hd (Mass Storage|SCSI|Bulk (Zip))

Device

Old device file: ‎/dev/sde

New devfs device: ‎/dev/scsi/host5/bus0/target0/lun0/disc