Mandriva 2006 and ltmodem

teledyn

I have 2006 installed, the modem driver does not appear to be available in the distro (urpmi cannot find it, even after adding all the contrib and plf sources from easyurpmi), I can't built from the heby-page instructions because the kernel sources are 2.6.12-15mdk whereas the only kernel package is 2.6.12-12 and the kernel-sources will make it mdkcustom anyway so the symbols and install paths still won't match, and even then, hacking sources around all this, the module built fails to load due to "unknown symbol inter_module_get"!!!!

I found an ltmodem binary for 2.6.12-14mdk but even with all the latest update/config/plf links from easyurpmi, I cannot find any kernel-2.6.12-14mdk RPM!

Does anyone know if there is a proper ltmodem-kv package for 2006 or an RPM of the compiled 2.6.12-14mdk kernel, or any other way out of this mess?

besides buying an external modem that is ;)

Winmodems are always a problem because they are designed for "Windows". Hence the name. The lack of components on the modem are made up for with the use of the Windows driver.

That's why all the problems trying to get it to work under Linux. If linmodems.org doesn't have a driver for your machine, you can probably, pretty much forget trying to get it to work. If they do, you'll have to compile it.

2006 Free would not have the drivers, 2006 Powerpack might if you're really lucky. I'd suggest, if it's available, download it from linmodems, compile it, or whatever is required as per the instructions and go from there.

If not, it's time to get a proper modem.

[edited by spinynorman]

...the module built fails to load due to "unknown symbol inter_module_get"!!!!

I found an ltmodem binary for 2.6.12-14mdk but even with all the latest update/config/plf links from easyurpmi, I cannot find any kernel-2.6.12-14mdk RPM!

Does anyone know if there is a proper ltmodem-kv package for 2006 or an RPM of the compiled 2.6.12-14mdk kernel, or any other way out of this mess?

besides buying an external modem that is ;)

or switching to a different distro ...

The question still remains, where can I get kernel-2.6.12-14mdk or a kernel source tree that matches the installed kernel? I have added all the sources from EasyURPMI including PLF free and non-free, but the only kernel-sources offered are 2.6.12-15mdk, and the only kernel binary offered is 2.6.12-12mdk -- modules built against that source will not load with that kernel, and the .config used to build that binary kernel is not included in the source rpm.

where could linmodems.technion.ac.il have found that kernel source tree to compile against, and even then, why do modules built against the kernel-source RPM tree get tagged with mkdcustom whereas the technion binary ltmodem trivers are not?

... found an ltmodem binary for 2.6.12-14mdk but even with all the latest update/config/plf links from easyurpmi, I cannot find any kernel-2.6.12-14mdk RPM!

ok, here's a potentially useful answer that does not require recompiling anything or purchasing any new hardware or joining any clubs:

1. download the above binary RPM, install it, this creates the modules in /lib/modules/2.6.12-14mdk/other; ignore the errors about ltserial not found.

2. mv that 'other' directory into /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk/kernel and run depmod -a

3. before you run any modem software (such as wvdial) you will need to install these modules one by one, manually forcing the load to ignore the silly minor-number symbol difference; install them using modprobe -f ltserial ; modprobe -f ltmodem

I don't know if this is a complete solution yet; I don't have dialup access from where I am now and won't know if this works until I get down to the city tomorrow (where I'll be e-stranded if it doesn't work :cry: ) but the /var/log/messages did show that wvdial runs and initializes the modem, so it seems very likely I'll be online while on the road.

I took a look at the source tree for 2006.0, and it appears that the kernel source for kernel -12 is available there (main urpmi mirror). The naming convention seems a bit awkward, though.

kernel-source-2.6-2.6.12-12mdk.i586.rpm

ftp://ftp.proxad.net/mirrors1/ftp.mandriv...586/media/main/

Strange, though, that even cooker's repo's only go up to -13, especially since you have found an rpm for a -14 kernel.

If you got it working, that's great. I just thought I would chime in.

I just did a check, and I've found this available on 2006 Free:

urpmf --name kernel-2.6
kernel-2.6.12.12mdk:kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-2.6.12.14mdk:kernel-2.6.12.14mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm
kernel-2.6.12.12mdk:kernel-2.6.12.12mdk-1-1mdk.i586.rpm

I am currently running 2.6.12.14 on my machine:

uname -a
Linux europa.comprze.com.pl 2.6.12-14mdk #1 Tue Dec 20 15:45:27 MST 2005 i686 Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.80GHz unknown GNU/Linux
[root@europa Download]# ls -l /usr/src
total 1
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root  19 Jan 25 09:36 linux -> linux-2.6.12-14mdk//
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root 696 Jan 19 14:11 linux-2.6.12-14mdk/
drwxr-xr-x   7 root root 168 Jan 16 14:38 RPM/

which also shows that kernel-source for the respective kernel as well. This might help in installing the rpm you found for 2.6.12.14, but of course, you would need to upgrade from 2.6.12.12 so that it's all for the same kernel.

I also downloaded 2.6.15.1 from kernel.org recently, and when you run "make menuconfig" it will actually read the files in /boot to make sure the kernel is exactly the same as compiled normally by the mandy boys who make the rpms. It pulls the settings from the system.map and config file. I found this myself, as I wanted to compile a minimal one, but it would have taken me ages to deselect all the stuff I didn't want. In the end I didn't do the manual kernel upgrade. In reality, it's probably best to stick to the kernel rpm's that mandy supply, than try to upgrade even further. In case you want to try, the procedure is:

cd /usr/src/linux
make dep && make clean && make bzImage
make modules_install && make install

this then installs the kernel to /boot/vmlinuz-{version}, generates an initrd in /boot if necessary, and then modifies lilo.conf or grub.conf to load the new kernel.

And regarding my last post, of which your reply has been removed for, sorry if you seemed to take my post in the wrong manner. I was just explaining "winmodems" of which you took offence to. Not sure why. I don't think my post above this one is abusive in any way. If you have any issues with me, then please PM me using the respective link.

I'm hoping the above reply to the kernel upgrade is of use, and hopefully you're not taking offence to me again.

Not sure why.  I don't think my post above this one is abusive in any way.  If you have any issues with me, then please PM me using the respective link.

I'm hoping the above reply to the kernel upgrade is of use, and hopefully you're not taking offence to me again.

Yeah, sorry about that and your kernel options cloning post here now is very informative, it's just that I have a short fuse when it comes to posts that do not answer the original question with any useful information beyond telling the querant to go buy something else, especially when the real answer exists and is simple. "WinModems" are not a "windows thing" despite the name, they are a DSP chip on a PCI card and that's it, a raw DSP chip, and thus they need to have the software you would normally find in an old-school USR/Hayes type modem, that is no crime and it has nothing at all to do with Windows, and infact, of the two major manufacturers of these mis-named "winmodems" two of them actually provide free-of-charge software drivers for their modems (PCTel and Lucent).

as for the 14mdk kernel cited above, it's curious that my urpmi settings would locate the source rpm for it but fail to find the binary. I think that's probably the best solution, to upgrade to the same kernel and then use the 3rd-party drivers. Life is way too short to spend it flipping kernel option selects.