Corrupt Install [solved]

sub-zero

I downloaded the Iso's again and checked the md5sum, and it turned out to be ok. After that I burnt the CD's at 4X speed and decided to very carefully make sure they dont get scratched at all. I popped it in and tried every method of install, even with one CD. But at the end it always says something is corrupt. I'm starting to think that maybe they're giving out messed up Iso's or something, but that can't be it, since others got it to work.

I got past the first CD but it always says it fails to install something. Either the RPM Databas or the ID something-or-other (I can't remember. I got so frustrated I threw away the disks, and decide to post here when I got the chance). I still have the ISO's but I'm not sure what to do. Maybe I should just save up & buy the $60 version? :wall:

Welcome to MUB.

Did you ensure that you burnt the ISOs as iso and not as data ??? If you did then did you also burn them on ordinary cd-r and not on cd-rw. The trouble may also be the cd medium that you used. Try burning on to a well known brand rather than el-cheapo discs that cause all sorts of strange problems. One excellent brand which comes to mind is TDK (never ever had trouble with it ) but there are many other good brands out there.

Don't give up yet. If you can get this far then hopefully we can get you the rest of the way.

Cheers. John.

P.S. In your signature, if you swap the the position of the icons either side of the boot you make a unique message. :lol2::lol2::lol2:

P.S.S. Your avetar is likely a flash of some sort which requires a driver install for many who do not have this flash device installed (I don.t, for example). Just a thought.

Edited by AussieJohn

Thanks for the help. And no, I didn't realize that it would make that message if I switched the icons. :P

I burnt the ISO's as Isos using a free ISO burner because Roxio Easy CD creator 5 burns the other disks, but assumes that Disk 1 is a DVD for some reason. I used Maxel CD-R, but it's optimized for music. That might have something to do with it. I'm not entirely sure though, since I burnt a version of knoppix on the same kind and it runs perfectly fine.

I'd use Roxio, but I really don't know why It says that. I checked the md5sum and it matched. The program I used was Iso Revorder V.2. Maybe I should burn Disk one with that program, and then use roxio to burn the others, since I didn't have problems with Disk 1 when I tried a 3 disk install.

(PS: Thanks for telling me about the icon. I'll make flash export it as a .Gif)

[Edit: I used Roxio to burn the Knoppix cd]

Edited by sub-zero

Of course I didn't burn the DVD Iso. It wouldnt fit on a CD! :lol2:

But Roxio thinks its a DVD for some reason. It's the same size as the official ISO for CD1 and the checksum is the same, but Roxio still bugs me about inserting a DVD (Which is odd because the computer has a CD-Burner that my uncle gave to us as soon as he got a DVD Burner). I don't know what's up with Roxio but the Iso Recorder burns it just fine, save the fact that it just refuses to install.

I know it works because a few times before I've gotten CD1 to install, (but not the others. I assumed it was the minor scratches they got while I put them in a CD case and burnt the other disks. [Yeah, I burnt 3, 2, and 1 in that order for some reason. I'm weird. :lol:])

Since I'd gotten a simple KDE Install to work I was able to get the other packages from the other CD's, but after installing them the system got corrupted.

On the other hand, Knoppix runs with some sound card issues, but not anything else. The Kernel in it isn't compatible for modular sound drivers, so that might be what screws it up. Generally the sound works. Right now I'm on it playing music on XMMS.

I should probably try and install from 1 cd and then download the rest of the packages.

Hello sub-zero.

If you like I can post you a 3 cdrom set of Mandriva2006. The last set I posted to the US only took 6 or 7 days. If you would like that, and I assure you it will be no trouble, then click on the PM button (Personal Message) near the bottom of the page and send me your mailing address ASAP. It is currently Wednesday here. Tomorrow is the Australia Day public holiday so I should be able to post out on Friday from here.

I will proof install the set before I send it to you.

This way you will have an install set that works and you can in the future be doing your burning with the excellent and far superior K3B :D

Cheers. John.

Are you able to get through the install and into a working desktop? From what I take it, everything on CD1 is essentially, with both CD 2 and 3 being additional software. Try ignoring the error messages about the disks and seeing where that takes you. Also, try doing a minimum install. Hopefully this will keep everything on to the first disk.

I finally got through the install! I'm having some problems with the K menu that i'll post in the Software forum or the KDE Foru, or sumthing. Thanks for the help. :D