Auto Updates? [solved]

rogerh

Just 'finished' my 2006 free install, and second time now in a couple of days now a fair size file is downloading into my system over the internet?? Does not seem to be associated with the browser, and with a seperate mail app I assume it is not that. Is Mandriva helping me out in some way, like updating my update source automatically??? How can I find out?? Relative newbie, if it isn't obvoius enough.....

Thanks -- Roger

2006 Free doesn't download anything as far as I'm aware. And I use 2006 Free.

You can use netstat to find out what's going on and connected, etc:

netstat -na

I would however suggest that you do apply all updates to the system, as there are a lot of fixes for various problems. And one of them was resource hogging problems, from what I remember.

Hi,

Yep, sadly I am on dialup and I can see the bits coming in. My browser is stopped, and nothing else is running that would be drawing off of the web, so that download is going somewhere..... No ill effects as yet.

I just got my system functional yesterday, and am ready to start updating the system tonight - long, painful process on dialup, so any suggestions on a priority basis would be appreciated!! I do have a screen artifact issue on KDE (earlier post on Mandriva Install) but would like to tackle things on a priority basis (many evenings no doubt).

Regards -- Roger

Well, it started again and I ran netstat -na in console. Not sure what it all means but figuring predominately are...

tmp/.x11-unix xo

tmp/.ICE-unix/dcop 3743-1137702704

/var/run/dbus/system_dbus_socket

not sure if this is even the right info to pull from the screen. Let me know any suggestions for fix or right stuff to report back. Went on until I disconnected modem this time - really a pain.

Regards -- Roger

Just a note - in Firefox 'edit-preferences-advanced' there is a box for 'Software Update' - periodic check for my extensions and themes

I unchecked this guy, but don't know if it will help or was the cause. Wonder what else is lurking out there...

Thanks -- Roger

Hi,

Just to close this out. Unchecking the update box on Firefox did not resolve the problem - still encountered download flowing into my system. I stopped using Kontact as my mail app and installed Thunderbird, and have not had a problem since. In the interim I installed a few updates, and maybe that was it. I tend to think I had something to do with Kontact (didn't like the app anyways, so maybe biased....)

Thanks and regards -- Roger