java SDK 1.5.0 installation

bigjohn

Just got the 1.5.0 Java SDK from the sun site. Followed the instructions to unpack etc. Fine, no problem there,

but as my firefox saved it to the desktop - the unpacking process made the directory there as well, so for the moment I've just put it in my /home.

where would it normally go for systemwide implementation ????

I also have vague memories of having to get the java documents .zip file and copying it to a specific location before it would do anything. Is that still the case or was it just a waste of bandwidth???

TVM

John

Move it say to /opt and then put the java /bin subdirectory at your PATH in any of your startup scripts, so all commands can be invoked without defining the binary path. That should normally be /opt/jdk1.5.0_06/bin but for simplicity you can rename the initial dir to just "jdk" and put /opt/jdk/bin at your PATH.

You must also symlink (not copy- it won't work) the correct browser plugin (the one fitting your architecture) to the browser's plugins directory.

Edited by scarecrow

As in putting the unpacked directory into /opt ???

Plus, as I have and use mozilla, firefox, opera and konqueror is there a way of working out where each of the browsers keep their plugins (i.e. is it like a common location or do they tend to be different) ???

regards

John

Yes, move the unpacked /jdk1.5.0_06 directory to /opt and rename it to /jdk

Then, add to (say) your ~.bash_profile:

export PATH="/opt/jdk/bin"

...and re-login to make it apply. Of course you can use another startup script if you want the above path being exported for other users as well.

Generally the plugin directories of the Moz applications are different, unless the packages are built in a specific way- for example under Arch Linux that I'm using there is a directory /opt/mozilla-plugins which is common for all Moz apps (Firefox, NVU, Mozilla...), and all you have to do for Konqueror is add that plugins directory via its settings.

For Opera, you must go to preferences/advanced and specify the plugins path (normally /usr/lib/opera/plugins) and the java-path. If there are plugins missing there, you must symlink from their actual position (e.g. the Mozilla plugins directory).

Ok, I think that makes sense (my train of thought, not your posts scarecrow). I'll have a look - and try to get it done as you say - but I might have to ask a further question if you don't mind (in my case, 4 years of linux knowledge could easily be written on the back of a very small postage stamp :unsure: ).

thankyou very much for your replies.

regards

John

It might be worth stressing here the difference between the JDK (aka SDK) and the JRE. Maybe you know this already, but if you only want to _run_ java applications, applets etc, then you just need the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) and don't need any documents.

If you want to _write_ and _compile_ your own java applications, applets etc, then you _do_ need the JDK (Development Kit), but still don't necessarily need the documents - the documents are very useful and I make sure I have a local (unzipped) copy to look at in the browser, but they're also available online.

It might be worth stressing here the difference between the JDK (aka SDK) and the JRE.  Maybe you know this already, but if you only want to _run_ java applications, applets etc, then you just need the JRE (Java Runtime Environment) and don't need any documents.

If you want to _write_ and _compile_ your own java applications, applets etc, then you _do_ need the JDK (Development Kit), but still don't necessarily need the documents - the documents are very useful and I make sure I have a local (unzipped) copy to look at in the browser, but they're also available online.

:thanks:

Yes I was aware of that. It's just that I recalled sometime ago, having to install the zipped docs somewhere for licence agreement so that whichever distro it was that I was trying would activate what had been installed i.e. as you had to accept the licence for the docs, you just clicked accept, got the file and copied it to a certain location - obviously thats not done anymore as the actual package has a licence acceptance "thing" (erm, I could also be talking out of my arse, but thats how I remember it was hence I got the docs first - when I probably didn't need them. Oh well, it's a good thing it was only a waste of a little bandwidth!). :lol2:

regards

John

• 2 weeks later...
When downloading the RPM or when installing Java via MCC, it defaults the installation to /usr/java.

That's how the two known mandy RPM's are built, but according to the common Linux nomenclature commercial and non-GPL software should be installed in /opt.

Of course it does not make any real difference if you install it in /opt/java or /usr/java or /usr/local/java - pretty much user's choice.