Hangs before install menu [solved]

jethro

Yeah, that works! Now I can go trough the installation proces. Does the "noauto" option has any consequence for the future use of Mandriva on my laptop?

The problem now is that it doesn't automatically recognises my videocard (ATI Raedon Express M200). This means that I can't get Mandriva to work properly. I tried a few of the given ATI drivers but the al give a screen which isn't workable. Can anybody help me with this?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Choose for "manufactor/ATI and choose GFLRX thats the one i must use for the same card. The M200 isn't supported

Monitor "plug and play" and you can choose 1280 x 800 voor the widescreen

consequence not by the amilo at work the only thing that doesn't work is the wlan.

The card is regonized perfectly, module is loaded but you need the button and he doesn't work. Seems a memory bug.

Choose for "manufactor/ATI and choose GFLRX thats the one i must use for the same card. The M200 isn't supported

Monitor "plug and play" and you can choose 1280 x 800 voor the widescreen

When I choose that type of graphical card and that type of screen (1280 x 800 flatpanel) I get the weird looking not workable screen (stripes and colors).

Edited by jethro

I tried that, but then it doesn't look very good either. It looks better, but the problem is that is really isn't optimal. It's barely doable. Perhaps that is due to the fact that I choose the wrong screen. I'll install mandriva again (probably the 10th time tonight) and choose Vesa with the 1024x800 flatpanel screen.

Off course I understand, but the problem is that if the screen isn't usable I can't adjust any settings, at least not using the GUI. I can get into the commandline interface, but I don't know how to adjust the screen graphics card settings there.

If the screen isn't workable afterwards, you don't have to reinstall, you can just use mcc at the command line to reconfigure it.

So, if the GUI comes up, but you can't see anything or it's unusable, press CTRL-ALT-F1. This will give you a command prompt. Then login as root, typing root as username, and the associated password. Then, type:

service xdm stop

this will stop X from running, and therefore allow you to configure without X being running.

Then type "mcc" without the quotes, and you can use the arrow keys, and enter key to select the menu options for Display, and then reconfigure.

I tried that, with MCC I can start to configure things, but I don't know what to choose. I tried several different combinations of screen en reso but that didn't work. The graphical card is still set to Vesa. Does anybody know which screen and reso to pick for a Toschiba notebook with a 15.4" widescreen?

My graphicscard is a "ATI Radeon xpress 200M IGP" which i configured as followed:

Graphicscard: vendor/ati/radeon (fglrx)

Monitor: choose "flatpanel 1280 x 800"

Resolution: 1280 x 800 24bpp

at last run test

This is done in MCC as Ian discribed

You can also do the follow:

If you see LILO (the startscreen where you can choose) press escape, type "linux init 3" or "init 3"

Then type su and the password

type XFdrake (watch the X and F)

Now you can configur your graphicscard and monitor.

By options you can set your comp to start automaticly start in graphics mode

Logout as root (exit)

Type "linux init 5" or "init 5"

Login as user

Type "startx"

Don't type the " "

Good luck

I would be tempted to use a lower resolution.

Choose a Flat Panel max 1024x768, and then set the ATI Driver for 1024x768 and see if that helps. Then if not, decrease to 800x600, and see if any better.

I have a Toshiba laptop, although it runs Intel graphics, and my max configurable is 1024x768, but then other models might be able to get higher, I'm just suggestin 1024x768 in case this would work better for you.

My graphicscard is a "ATI Radeon xpress 200M IGP" which i configured as followed:

Graphicscard: vendor/ati/radeon (fglrx)

Monitor: choose "flatpanel 1280 x 800"

Resolution: 1280 x 800 24bpp

at last run test

This is done in MCC as Ian discribed

You can also do the follow:

If you see LILO (the startscreen where you can choose) press escape, type "linux init 3" or "init 3"

Then type su and the password

type XFdrake (watch the X and F)

Now you can configur your graphicscard and monitor.

By options you can set your comp to start automaticly start in graphics mode

Logout as root (exit)

Type "linux init 5" or "init 5"

Login as user

Type "startx"

Don't type the " "

Good luck

I tried to set it up using both of the above ways but either way when I test the configuration I get the unusable screen.

By the way, I don't seem to have a xdm service running. When booting Mandriva tries to go into the graphical mode, but I use ctrl - alt - f1 to get out of it, because it isn't usable.

PS. When choosing the ATI radeaon fglrx thingie it asks me about 3d acceleration. I told Mandriva to stay 2d, because I think 3d will only make it less likely to work right now.

I'm going to try the lower reso's know.

Edited by jethro

Hi everybody,

It works with the following properties:

monitor: "Flatpanel 1024x768"

resolution: "1024x768 16bpp", this didn't work with 24bpp!

graphical card: "Vesa", it didn't work wit the Ati/Radeaon (fglrx)

Right now I think it's very bad that I have to use such a low reso. I mean, this isn't optimized for my widescreen. Is it possible to install the right ATI drivers to get it all to work like it is supposed to work?

You could try the Linux drivers direct from ATI here:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default...ge&folderID=300

I'm not sure how they will fare, but it's worth a shot. It says they support your M200 card.