playing audio CDs [solved]

null

I'm on my 3rd install of mandriva 2006. If I put in an audio CD (purchased), nothing will play it. xmms doesn't know what it is, amarok says it doesn't know what the cdda protocol is, CD player won't play it. Everything says unknown file type.

Unbelievable...! I've got a few other probs already worked out, but now this...!

Edited by null

nope, I'd never buy (intentionally) one of those. I tried playing several CDs anyway, ones that I have played before.

edit: I just found one CD that CD Player would play, but xmms would not. every CD I put in, xmms says WAV audio is an unknown type.

edit 2: Found out that by right clicking xmms and selecting play directory, then browsing to mnt cdrom, it starts playing the CD. Weird. My past installs of distros I was able to double-click music files and have xmms start playing them.

Edited by null

you could use grip, too, it's a cd-ripper, but I misuse it as cd-player at the moment, since gnome-cd is broken (doesn't play cds some time, if it plays the sound is horrible)

there are scripts to autoplay audio-cds/dvds, but I don't know from where I installed them, maybe the dynamic-rpm ?, only problem is they default to gnome-cd, but this can be solved by modifying the script

when I drag & drop an mp3 track onto xmms, it says that WAV is not recognized, but as mentioned before, if I select Play Directory, and click mnt/cdrom, it starts playing OK.

I'll play around for a little while, and try out KDE also.

thanks

xmms is obviously missing some addon for CD playback-install it.

Besides that, I'm really curious how you made it mounting an audioCD... this is not possible, unless using a virtual filesystem (e.g. KDE's /media...).

Also-xmms needs extras from PLF to playback MP3's (MP3 aren't GPL format, as you already know).

I don't know about the "mount" thing. I just stick an audio CD in the drive, open xmms, select Play Directory, click mnt/cdrom and it starts playing the CD.

On the other hand, playing mp3s - xmms doesnt' do it. If I double-click an mp3 file, xmms will appear for a few seconds then dissapear... Also, if I right-click an mp3 file, select Open With xmms, same thing happens, xmms comes up, then disappears...

Yes, I did install the xmms-mp3 add-on. Is there something else to do...?

edit: Other distros I tried played CDs and mp3s OK, I wonder what is different this time around...? I've been using KDE for the past day, and amarok works pretty good...

Edited by null

definately audio CDs, bought at music stores. Is something wrong in the CD setup or something? Maybe that's causing trouble playing music.

On my past distros, I just inserted audio CDs, then my distro would start playing them...

Mandriva won't do that, although artic said it was gnome's CD Player fault...

I would like xmms as my music player app, but its not working automatically when I insert audio CDs, also it can't play mp3s even though I installed xmms-mp3.

In KDE, I went into the place where you select your preferred apps for doing stuff, and I put xmms as first preference for audio, but amarok continues to come up first.

Seems like a rinky-dink thing, I never had problems before with audio CDs or mp3s with other distros.

When I try a reinstall of ubuntu over this mandriva install, I'll see how that works...

Edited by null

A pure audioCD does not have any filesystem (it just have RAW datastreams inside, in  the form of audio tracks), and as such it just can NOT be mounted in a normal way.

XMMS has some "digital CD audio extraction plugin" and employs it when you instruct it to open (configurable) CD mount point - in spite of that no CD is actually mounted. Look at its configuration options.