Cannot install OpenOffice 2.0.1 [solved]

lawsonrc

I have tried to install ver.2.0.1 several ways: twice by downloads (from two different mirrors), each download deleted when they didn't work. Then I burnt the CD-ROMS. I uninstalled ver. 2.0 before trying an installation of 2.0.1.

The problem is with the RPMs. When I try to install the "base" , any of the "core02-core10", or writer, calc, etc. I get this message:

"The such-and-such cannot be installed due to unsatisfied openoffice.org-core01"

When I try to install "core01", I get this message:

"openoffice.org-core1 cannot be installed due to unsatisfied openoffice.org-core04"

What is the solution? I was able to install ver. 2.0 just fine. I just can't understand why I can't install ver. 2.0.1. Very strange! Considering there is the mandriva menus rpm in the subdirectory.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

Copy all packages into a directory on your /home partition e.g. /home/username/OOO. Once this is done, open a console and log in as root. Now launch

rpm -ivh /home/username/OOO/*.rpm

Hope it works this way.

maybe you need to install them with the option --nodeps

funny thing with the OOo-rpms is although they are not urpmi-compatible (no hdlists) I managed to install them via rpmdrake (got an error-message when I defined the rpm-source, but I could install them, now if I have new packages I can just actualize my rpm-sources and get the new packages)

Follow Arctic's advice. It works, I've done it.

Yes, it surely works. Or even the simpler

- Browsing to the extraction directory with Konqueror

- Pressing F4

- Typing in

su -c "rpm -i openoffice*.rpm"

(...and providing the root password)

works.

After that you have to go to the menus subdirectory, and install the Mandy-specific RPM, else no menus on your desktop.

I don't use an RPM based distro, but I've done that many times with OOo2 betas over Mandy/PCLinuxOS.

Edited by scarecrow

Hi Guys,

I want to thank each and everyone of you for your advice and kind suggestions. My apologies for not getting back with a reply sooner.

First I installed the java rpm by rightclicking and choosing "SoftwareInstaller" (I could have just double left-clicked it) and it installed successfully.

Then I created a new folder in Home, calling it OOo2.0.1. I copied and pasted all the other rpms into it except for the gnome one (I use KDE and wanted my KDE theme Acqua to appear in all OOo applications.)

I then went into Konqueror's Window menu and chose "Show Terminal Emulator", which appeared in the bottom half of the window> then su'ed to root with password>used arctic's command and watched the installation go by with each rpm.

Afterward I went back to the cd and copied/pasted the mandriva menu rpm and put it in the same folder. I double clicked on it and it installed correctly.

I went to the Mandriva menu, where it was listed under Office....clicked on the Writer2.0 which opened successfully...registered, etc.

All went well and is complete.

QUESTION: when I had Writer opened, I went to the Help Menu>About... I listed it as Open Office 2.0 instead of Open Office 2.0.1. This confused me at first, thinking I hadn't installed 2.0.1.

Does anyone know why it doesn't say 2.0.1?

Again, many many thanks to all for responding :thanks:

Richard