Back up a winXP NAS drive

manza7

I recently purchased a Buffalo Linkstation NAS drive which is now serving as a file storage for my 4 home Windows XP PCs, everyone in the house saves all work to this 250G external disk which is formatted for NTFS/DOS

In my home network, I also have a PC running Mandrake 9.x linux with 1x60G and 1x250G drives, we use this linux machine mainly for firewall and other services which requires 24/7 reliability. I have SAMBA running and all my PCs can see both my M.Linux 250G drives.

My question: I would like to setup a cron job to backup all files in the NAS drive to one of the Linux 250G drive everyday. What command should I use in M. Linux to achieve this and what do I have to do to make M. Linux to see the NAS drive which is setup for windows file system.

Thanks for your help in advance

First you'll need samba if it's based on Windows. Then you'll have to make sure it's shared so that you can access it from the Linux system.

Then you could use the backup tool, or if your Linux system has enough space to copy it locally to the hard disks, then you can just use the "cp" command to copy it to the Linux system.

The FAQ section on this board has a good howto for samba in the networking section, check it out. This will get your Linux system able to see the Windows NAS and back it up.

Thanks for the pointer, much appreciated.

After reading the FAQ, I am however still a bit confused as to how I can see Windows shared folders from Linux, what commands do I use? Anything I need to do in conf file to include the windows shared directory?

I followed the instruction by typing smb:/ in Nautilus but I got an error message telling me that is not a valid location.

I have no problem seeing Linux shared directories from Windows file explorer using SAMBA.

Edited by manza7

Normally, you can gain access to a machine with:

smb://machinename/sharename

I tend to make sure my /etc/hosts file is configured with the IP address and machine name that points to it correctly in case of communication issue.

I shared the folder "test" in W2K machine name is "moon", IP address is 192.168.1.22

I added "192.168.1.22 moon" into /etc/hosts

Then I went to the Linux machine, launched Nautilus, in "go to" I typed "smb://moon/test" it returned error

"smb://moon/test" is not a valid location, please check spelling and try again.

BTW, I can ping 192.168.1.22 from my Linux machine no problem

Thanks

Edited by manza7

I would hazard a guess that something is not quite right with samba. Did you use drakwizard to configure samba as per the faq? That should have sorted it out.

Also, is the username/password the same on the linux box as it is on the windows box?

I used webmin (https://localhost:10000) to configure all my samba connections, I checked the /etc/smb.conf file and it looked OK.

I included 192.168.1.22 in /etc/hosts

all my other Windows PCs can see the share folder //192/168.1.22/temp, I just can't see it from within Lunix using Nautilus And all windows PCs can see my shared directories in Linux, frustrating...

Thanks for your help so far.

Are you sure that webmin has allowed you to configure everything exactly? Is the Linux machine in the same workgroup as the other machines? Same username/passwords for access from each machine?

When I configured, I did follow the Samba FAQ here, which meant installing drakwizard, and then configuring samba with that. And it all worked, I had nothing more to do!

Can you post back with the following for me:

rpm -qa samba

I'd like to see what's installed in case anything is missing.

Yes, I checked the user name, password, workgroup, subnet mask, they are all the same.

However, when I did "rpm -qa samba" it returned with a prompt but nothing else.

I went into the Mandrake control center and look under software management and found these were installed:

Name: samba-server

Version: 2.2.7a-9.2mdk

Size: 3720 KB

Name: samba-client

Version: 2.2.7a-9.2mdk

Size: 3025 KB

Name: samba-common

Version: 2.2.7a-8mdk

Size: 10531 KB

Thanks

Are these being displayed under Remove Software or Install Software? The rpm -qa should have shown that they were installed.

If they are appearing in Install Software, then they are not installed, and will explain why samba isn't working. Easiest way is to do this:

urpmi samba-client

this should then install samba-client and samba-common. You need these to be able to browser shares/printers on Windows machines. If it reports these already exist, then post back and we can see where to go from there.

If you want the Windows machines to access the Linux box, then you need samba-server installing.