using firefox after untar

Guest surecure

Guest surecure

I'm a complete linux newbie and I'm trying to get a handle on installing software. I downloaded firefox and did the following..tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.tar.gz . This created a folder called firefox in my home/user directory. I'm used to installing on windows where it will add the program to a list so I can launch it. What is my next step to start using firefox? Thanks for any help.

--I've also tried going to the firefox folder in console and typing ./configure, ./make but I get the following bash: ./make: No such file or directory

Edited by surecure

Guest surecure
I went to http://rmp.pbone.net and did a search for firefox. Then I downloaded the suse 9.3 rpm for firefox 1.5. Works fine. You'll just have to manually make the menu entry with menudrake.

Thank you so much for the help. I took your advice and got an rpm off that site and I was able to add an icon to the menu using menudrake.

Thanks again.

I'm a complete linux newbie and I'm trying to get a handle on installing software.  I downloaded firefox and did the following..tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.tar.gz .  This created a folder called firefox in my home/user directory.  I'm used to installing on windows where it will add the program to a list so I can launch it.  What is my next step to start using firefox?  Thanks for any help.

--I've also tried going to the firefox folder in console and typing ./configure, ./make but I get the following bash: ./make: No such file or directory

You only have to do ./configure, make, make install if you install from source. In this case you just have to start the firefox file in that directory. First you step in to that dir:

cd firefox

then launch it:

./firefox

Don't forget the dot and the slash from the beginning.