Set up a server, and it kicks my dsl out!

Ixthusdan

I was trying to build a junk computer for a better firewall. So I did not want to buy a cdrom or pull parts from other computers. I read where I could set up NFS and share my cdrom, boot the junk computer with the network.img on cd1, configure the network, (I have a router acting as a dhcp server) and load what I needed from my machine.

But when I set up my machine through webmin, in around an hour my dsl went down, which never happens. I had to reset the router to bring it back up. Today, my wife is in windows while I am building the firewall, and bam, no internet. Same problem. dsl is disconnected.

What did I do wrong? I had to turn off the server in my box to fix the problem.

Okay loook the easy way to do this is this

get shorewall from shorewall.net , or it may be on the mandrake cds, I use all kinds of distros,.... so bare with me

1st you need at least 2 ethernet cards one for the external interface the other for the LAN

put the Shorewall RPM on a floppy, if you don'y have a floppy share it from NFS,

shutdown the NFS server, shutdown portmap on the router

install shorewall, config the shorewall files (from the website)

then you just start shorewall and watch for debugging info

shorewall start

to clear info

shorewall clear

"Do'nt do this over the Network" Iptables will lock you out! just connect your moniter to the computer while you do this after that you can disconnect it

Post back & I'll help

I have 2 nics on the newly built firewall computer. The problem is that I do not have a cdrom from which to install the os. I was trying to set up a net install, which is how I got in trouble. I need to load an os and firewall on the new machine.

I can have you up and running in 10 minutes. step 1 Go get yourself a copy of IPCop 2. Burn the iso to disk then power down the machine with the cdrom in it. 3. Install the cdrom temporarilyin the machine thats going to be the firewall and install IPCop and when the install is down put the cdrom back in its proper machine.

And baddaboom baddbing one NAT capable firewall with a lan and a dmz set up if thats how many nics you had installed. Its also a proxy server, dhcp server with a nice little web based front end or you can ssh in do tweak it through the cmd line if you so choose.