Game controller support

Guest edfinegan

Hmmm,

USB or Gamport???

Setting up gameport support is a pain.

USB joysticks/gamepads are easier. That said I have a gameport edition of the Gravis Xterminator and just got it working with jscalibrator. Now if I can only get it working in an actual game...

Guest edfinegan

That is via the gameport. If usb is simple i may just go get a cheap usb controller. I all want to do is paly SNES games and have the controller emulate keyboard buttons.

You have to check the SNES sotware's FAQs and find out if it supports re-mapping the controller to the keyboard, or whether it supports standard cotrollers...

I don't think there is as much option to re-map buttons to keystrokes in Linux. At least I've never seen anything on it.

For an analog joystick su to root and then do:

insmod gameport

insmod ns558

insmod input

insmod joydev

insmod analog

Then start rocks and diamonds, select the joystick and try to calibrate it. If you can calibrate it then your joystick is all set up.

Glitz.

Glitz,

Gameport doesn't always do it.

For example, the SoundBlaster Live requires you to insmod emuk1-gp or something like that...

I still have problems getting it set up.

if your soundcards gameport isn't supported you WONT be able to use any gamepad oder joystick pluged into it. thats the problem i have here (and why i ordered an old sb live on ebay last week)

• 2 weeks later...
For an analog joystick su to root and then do:

insmod gameport

insmod ns558

insmod input

insmod joydev

insmod analog

Then start rocks and diamonds, select the joystick and try to calibrate it.  If you can calibrate it then your joystick is all set up.

Glitz.

Will that add those modules so that they also are loaded on startup, or would you need to add those to modules.conf to get it to be enabled automatically at startup?

No, you will have to add that to modules.conf.

Glitz.

PS. I haven't actually tried to get it to load at bootup but that would be my guess on how to do it.