Looking for Firefox 1.0.7 rpms [solved]

cage47

I'm not a 100% pleased with 2006 as I was when 10.0 came out. I haven't upgraded my old laptop or my backup computer since 10.0 works better on them and 2006 is a memory hog. I've still got 2006 on the main computer (for now) But seriously considering regressing to 10.0. Now I got rpms for Firefox 1.0.4 from Norlug but they now have Redhat rpms instead of Mandrake/Mandriva rpms. And can't find rpms for Firefox on PLF. So does anyone have any other locations to get rpms for Firefox 1.0.7.

Also I've downloaded FF 1.5 from the mozilla site. I have trouble getting to run it as user. Root is fine but don't go online with root. So for the laptop and backup computer I'm looking to find 1.0.7 rpms. RPMFIND also isn't any help.

It's an even run almost with downsides for running either 10.0 or 2006 for me. 10.0 has older software and usb devices aren't handled to my liking in kde 3.2. But my 3d acceleration works a heck of a lot better and Gimp isn't a stinker. But OOo is also older.

2006 has newer packages. Firefox is more upto date. Usb devices work better. But 3d sucks and it is more a resource hog than 10.0.

And I can't use my old routine of pulling certain packages from one distro and using them in another. I could get away with it with older distros but 2006 is too changed. Can't use 10.0 rpms in 2006 and can't force 2006 rpms into 10.0. I was hoping to use the firefox and thunderbird rpms from 2006 in 10.0 but the dependencies are unresolvable when it hits freetype2. so really need rpms for 1.0.7 if anyone knows where to find them.

The best I could find was 1.02

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...l.i586.rpm.html

Your best bet is to install 1.5 directly from mozilla.org. You say it will only run as root? Did you install as a normal user? I did not have any toruble installing 1.5 from mozilla.org with Mandriva 2005LE.

Since you are unhappy with 2006, I would recommend having a look at 2005LE (10.2). It has worked well for me.

edit:

Try creating a new profile for your 1.5. This may be why you cannot run as a regular user. Run firefox with this to get the profile manager:

firefox -profilemanager

Edited by daniewicz

I did follow the firefox instructions. I dont' want it setup as user. I wanted to set it up for all users. But I read about the problems with installing it to a directory that a user doesn't have write permissions to.

And 10.0 didn't include firefox. I got the 1.0.4 rmps from norlug. Until 2005 le the default browser was Mozilla proper. I'll look at it again but I'm not holding out hope.

The thing I liked about 10.0 was how it "just worked" right from install. Aside from setting up samba and my printer and rearranging my menu there wasn't much tweaking that needed to be done. There just seem to bee too many catches with 2006. I guess I can deal with slightly older software. Heck I was using Debian Woody for a while so that's nothing new.

If you havn't tried already, unzip the contents from the Firefox 1.5 download into a common directory such as /usr/lib. Each user should be able to access the program then. Although you will most likely have to create a link to the executable for each user on your system. This is what I've done and seems to work fine. You could also try using 10.1 or 10.2, both, I believe, come with Firefox 1.0.2 which can be patched to 1.0.7. Good luck.

OK looks like I got 1.5 going. But I had to take a few different steps.

1. Downloaded the 1.5 tar.gz file from Mozilla

2. Untarred the directory as user to my user directory

3. opened Konqueror in superuser mode and copied the entire new firefox directory to my /usr/lib directory

4. (This is the step no one has mentioned before) I used konqueror in the super user mode to change the permissions on the /usr/lib/firefox/chrome directory (and all contents in that directory) to allow users to write to that directory (I add all my users to the disk directory so I changed group ownership of that directory to disk)

5 two different ways:

I first put a link on my desktop to the firefox shell script and

I created a menu entry for the firefox directory

both work. I'm in it now. Still would like an rpm also but I can manage. Now my old 10.0 install is updated enough to my liking.

You are on 10.0 and you find 2006 to be a bear.

I cannot get over the fact that you have not mentioned and/or tried Mandriva2005-LE.

If you are avoiding it because of some incorrect belief that because it is called Limited Edition that it is in some way limited then I do not think you have done your checking very well.

It is NOT in the slightest bit limited but in fact an extremely stable, reliable effective OS.

Cheers. John

John. I didn't try 2005 only because I have a rock solid 10.0 setup. I tried 10.1 and had the usb probs (remember that) so I went back to 10.0. I was thinking of trying 2005 but from what I read it seemed it only came on 3 cds. So it wouldn't have included all the goodies I wanted. I was waiting for 2006 so I could get the powerpack. Not just the download version. I think about looking into 2005 but I might just wait for 2007 to come out. I should have waited more on reviews of 2006 to see these problems. I usually do. Anyway holidays tapped my mad money so no choice now any how. Maybe in Feb I'll look at 2005 or download it at work. Oh but I've found that there ARE progs I can move down to 10.0 from 2006. Specifically cd 3. I can use all the progs there. All the adobe stuff, macromedia flash, and the like.

Scarecrow. Per mozilla's instructions, 1.5 doesn't have an installer. You download the tar.gz file. Then untar it into the directory you want. You can link the shell script but why when I can run it right from the original shell script. And there's no info anywhere about the chrome dir. I get messages saying can't install due to problems with the chrome dir when I first run it. Mozilla's site makes mentions of permission problems with the file in extensions but no the actual chrome dir.

I only put actual binaries into bin. And honestly 10.0 isn't archaic. I mean aside from the way it handles devices like inserted cd's and usb devices (and the fact it doesn't setup my printer right from install but have to do it after) I have no operational differences. The software might be older but it works and I don't have the bugs or kinks. And I don't have to tinker with it as much as I had 2006 to get it to work right. Fix the kdm login theme issue, remove kat, deal with xorg not working good 3d accell. And I didn't like how menu subdirs that held only one item got moved up to the next level. So if I moved cd burning to the main menu and it only held k3b it didn't show the cd burning sub menu with k3b in it only k3b by itself on the main menu. And there's no way to fix it. Then again there was supposed to be a performance improvement. Didn't see it. It booted slightly faster but in a tradeoff programs take slightly longer to load. And /usr/lib is not an unusual place, it holds all the program directories.

OK. Now here's the problem and the reason why I was looking for rpms. I've got Firefox 1.5 installed. I tinkered with it and it now works fine like it should. BUT......Now clicking on links in Thunderbird won't open a browser. This is why I wanted an rpm. Having it integrate with the system. When you just setup the binary it doesn't integrate. Even with an installer would be better. But this is an unzip and go install. Not ideal. See for this I wan't to go back to my 1.0.4 rpms. At least they integrated.

OK. Now here's the problem and the reason why I was looking for rpms. I've got Firefox 1.5 installed. I tinkered with it and it now works fine like it should. BUT......Now clicking on links in Thunderbird won't open a browser. This is why I wanted an rpm. Having it integrate with the system. When you just setup the binary it doesn't integrate. Even with an installer would be better. But this is an unzip and go install. Not ideal. See for this I wan't to go back to my 1.0.4 rpms. At least they integrated.

You can add in a script to take care of this. I use one myself so that I can stay up to date with the releases from mozilla. Not sure exactly which site has the same instructions I used, but this one is pretty close (method 2). Works like a charm. Only problem is remembering to copy it into the new directory and change the directory name in the script (if applicable) when you install a new version.

OK for anyone else looking for rpms. I have Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.0.7 installed and working fine. I only had to manually make menu entries for them. And I had to edit the prefs.js file for Thunderbird to use Firefox as a browser for links clicked on in messages. The answer can be found on Linuxquestions. org by doing a search for "thunderbird browser". These were two major updates I needed to be satisfied with my "old" 10.0 install. We'll see how next year's release comes out. Or maybe the 2006.1 when it's final. But for now 10.0 is rock solid. And updated.