dual boot desktop and notebook need to talk, how?

fuzzylizard

I have, what I think is, a complex networking problem. I have a dual boot desktop computer and a dual boot notebook. This means that at anytime either could be booted into linux or into windows.

On the desktop, I have a FAT32 directory that is accessible from both Windows 2000 and Mandrake linux. I want to be able to make this directory networkable using both Samba and NFS. That way, if the notebook is in windows (98) it can access it and if it is in Red Hat it can still access it.

I would also like to be able to access the notebook from desktop computer regardless of whether I am in windows or linux and whether it is in windows or linux.

The windows to windows is not a problem. I just don't know how to make it work when either, or both, of the computers are in linux.

I am also a newbie at networking in Linux and know nothing about Samba or NFS.

Is the above even possible?

Help please.

The best thing to do is make sure you have SWAT and Webmin installed on the box that has the FAT32 partition that you want to share. Create a user on that box that has the same name as the user on the notebook in Windows and in Linux. Make sure you enable that user as a Samba user (you can do that in Webmin -> Convert Unix users to Samba users). I can give you more detailed help if you want.

• 1 month later...

If you could take the time I would like some detailed info on sharing files with windows and linux. I run windows and linux on my desktop and on my laptop. I just went wireless and I am enjoying the fredom. I would like to learn how to setup them both to share files. I don't know much about networking and pat myself on the back for even getting my router and card on my laptop going. Any light shed on sharing files I would be deaply graitful.