Big Problems Installing

Guest brownelltyler

Guest brownelltyler

Hey everyone. I'm very new to Linux, just switching over from Windows XP. I dowloaded the DVD ISO tonight figuring I would get the install done in an hour or so...

When I boot to the DVD and the install is loading into memory there is a line below the bar that says:

"Disabling IRQ #18"

The memory loads correctly and the install continues. I'm asked to configure my video options. I have an ATI x800. I've tried every single driver on the list that had "Radeon" in the title. No luck. The test isn't working with anything. So I continue anyways and I reboot after the install is finished.

When the bootloader opens I select "Linux" it takes a while to load. A prompt appears resembling a DOS prompt. But instead of allowing me to effectily type something "Disabling IRW #18" appears ever half of a second. Over and over. It dosn't stop. I know just enough to try to get in the GUI by typing "startx" as fast as I possibly could. When I do it says, of course, "no screen", and continues to display "Disabling IRW #18" line after line.

If you have ANY idea whats going on with this "Disabling IRQ #18" thing PLEASE let me know... As for the graphic driver, I know ATI dosn't have great Linux support, but theres got to be somthing I can do. I heard that the Mandriva Club offers ATI drivers, but for a price. Is this worth it? I'm, hopefully, going to get Counter Strike Source playing on here so I need some 3d driver.

Thanks in advance to anyone that posts.

Edited by brownelltyler

Guest brownelltyler

So that should solve the video problem? Alright. But I can't log in as root bacuse right ofter the prompt shows up "Disabling IRW #18" repeats itself and it will not allow me to type anything.

Press F1 when you boot the CD, and then type:

linux noapic

if that doesn't work, add some more parameters:

linux noapic nolapic

you can even add acpi=off too, so:

linux noapic nolapic acpi=off

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, none of these things help, its still spewing out "Disabling IRQ #18".

What kind of hardware do you have? AMD 32, 64, SATA controller,...? I have an Gigabyte AMD64 NForce4 motherboard with SATA controller. When I tried to install x86 32 bit Mandriva 2006, the installer kept spewing out "Disabling IRQ #10" or some other IRQ#. I had to disable both SATA controllers in order to install Mandriva. I have not tried the 64 bit version yet. Try Ubuntu. For me, I don't have the same problem with Ubuntu or OpenSUSE 10.

Hope this help!