shutdown problems with mandriva 2006

eroica

hello,

i'm still having problems w/my new mdv 06 install. right now my most annoying problem is when i goto shutdown half the time the kicker disappears but then the desktop just sits there. i have to then hit the power button and it starts the shutdown but always hangs on some process either alsa or eth0 etc. i then have to press power button again to shutdown computer. then when i restart i get a "mandriva was shut down blah blah blah" i've tried disabling laptop mode but that did no good. The only thing i added from install was a usb mouse which works fine. Is there anyway I can find out what process is hanging the system on shutdown. I have a toshiba satellite laptop w/mandriva 2006 and kde 3.4...

thanx,

alan

Edited by eroica

Hi, I know it's not a direct answer to your problem, but maybe you can try to use Gnome, and try to shutdown from it...

If everything is fine, I think you can try to switch the Login Manager (KDM to GDM) , as a temporary problem solver, until you can recognize your system well and find out the real answer to your problem.

I once had the same problem, and it's enough for me to switch the Login Manager

• 2 months later...

My laptop also do that things sometimes. When it hangs during shutdown I just press the lid-button, and then it continues.

The other problem is more rare and happens only when the computer has been up a long time, or I have restarted KDE some times, I've no answear to that.

First thing I would suggest is applying all normal/security/bug fixes updates to your system and see if that helps.

If you've already done this, what kernel version are you running right now? Default is 2.6.12.12. Latest available for 2006 now is 2.6.12.15 downloadable from urpmi repositories.