States "no boot------" [solved]

michaelz92

Ok...i tried installing wine and immediatly when i began the download, Mandriva 2006 Froze..{of course} ... ok then it didn't even load the LILO bootloader. I turned it off to try again. it has the Dell(then the loading bar under it) then it has bios revision ______

ok...it boots up so slow and doesn't even get past midway point(on the BIOS loading). Whats the deal??? this is crazy.

How can i get my computer back up and running.. any help is appreciated.

Edited by michaelz92

I do not understand what you are describing. How can you tell it is half way thru the bios load? Do you mean the linux load? Could you describe precisely what is on the screen when it stops loading?

Nothing at all. The only changes(at all) made to this machine was the dualboot OSs. ok i got a new screen now when i load it up.. it says

Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS version 1.10 A01

Copyright 1985-1988 Phoenix Technologies LTD.

Copyright .>>....dell.........

allright reserved.....

Dell SYstem Dimension 8200

then(for the important part) it says

Alert! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint. For help in resolvi9ng this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact Dell Technical Support.

Crap.(my words)

what to do..what to do. Will dell even listen if i tell them ive dualbooted it with Mandriva/Windows XP?/??

Don't know for sure, but I think that the bootloader from Dell is corrupted. Don't if they have one, never had a Dell before. But once had a Hewlett Packard Pentium 4 which had one. They use it in combination with a second partition on your hard drive, in case your system crashes. In that case you can restore you old configuration with that second partition which you can access from the bootloader.

But again, don't know for sure. I bought my HP like that, don't know if Dell uses that configuration also. Perhaps someone with a Dell copmuter can help you out on that issue.

Don't know for sure, but I think that the bootloader from Dell is corrupted. Don't if they have one, never had a Dell before. But once had a Hewlett Packard Pentium 4 which had one. They use it in combination with a second partition on your hard drive, in case your system crashes. In that case you can restore you old configuration with that second partition which you can access from the bootloader.

But again, don't know for sure. I bought my HP like that, don't know if Dell uses that configuration also. Perhaps someone with a Dell copmuter can help you out on that issue.

i was using lILO and i doubt there is any bootloader(it is hard to get specs for those kinds of things it seems though)...i dunno. Doesn't dell have 24 hour service...because i remember a commercial where this guy was in bed and at 5 in the morning he called up dell and the dell guys is like "yes 24-7=365(or something like that)...maybe ill call them later. Will they fix it? because my sisters computer needed a motherboard once(it was the 600 dollar dell) and the guy came out and installed it. Maybe theyll do that for this one(if a motherboard is needed-or similiar part)...i hope it is cuse thats something i can go and buy a Frys (or other electronics stores).

A Dell check point error is a Dell bios failure. When you call them, they will walk you thru a proceedure that will verify this. The fix is a replacement of the motherboard, which is very expensive unless it is under warranty. Most Dells can accept a standard motherboard.

A Dell check point error is a Dell bios failure. When you call them, they will walk you thru a proceedure that will verify this. The fix is a replacement of the motherboard, which is very expensive unless it is under warranty. Most Dells can accept a standard motherboard.

CRAp. dangit. Well, its not under warranty..and motherboards cost what 100 dollars?

I regularly use boards that are in the $60-$80 price range that are reliable. ASRock (made by Asus) and Gigabyte both have good inexpensive boards. I avoid ECS.

Don't know about the prices in the USA, but here in Europe you can have good inexpensive boards for about 50 Euros. Been building computers for about ten years now, and if I wre you, I should try to avoid ASrock and ECS. Sorry, but I've had to many bad boards with those. And it's a pain to get one returned for warranty.

My personal favorites, in that price-range are MSI and Asus. But hey, what's an opinion.

Don't know about the prices in the USA, but here in Europe you can have good inexpensive boards for about 50 Euros. Been building computers for about ten years now, and if I wre you, I should try to avoid ASrock and ECS. Sorry, but I've had to many bad boards with those. And it's a pain to get one returned for warranty.

My personal favorites, in that price-range are MSI and Asus. But hey, what's an opinion.

will my computer work like new after i install a new one??? like perfectly?