2006 Download Edition Display Problems

Guest Phil B

I did a clean install of 2006 download edition after wiping the hard drive to make sure I get a clean install. The display is very bright lime green with light yellow text. It makes no difference if I try & change it through the configuration. The taskbar is purple & full contrast.

I've tried changing the video card configuration & the monitor, makes no difference.

Any ideas?

P4 2.4, AsusP4S8X-X mb, Gigabyte Radeon 9600 Video, 768 Ram, 80gig hd

Guest bagofchicken

Hi, the same with me.

I am pretty sure it's not the cable/video card not plugged correctly issue because when I tried some live distributions, the screen was ok. My video card is Radeon 9250. At first Mandriva 2006 Download Edition recognized my monitor and used the fglrx driver, but the cursor was yellowish and slightly transparent. Also it seamed that it didn't handle quite well the on-screen drawing because when I moved around any window, it leaved traces all over the desktop (leftovers, which didn't disappear). When I tried to change from 16-bit to 24-bit, it got worse. Then I changed it back to 16-bit.

I thought, alright, I'll just have to install the ati drivers by myself and it'll be fine. When I did that, the whole kde environment became purple and green. I didn't tried the fglrxgears, but I started supertux and tuxracer, and they ran very well, without visible slowdowns, or colour problems. Here and there on the internet people are suggesting that it might be an xorg 6.9 issue. I was short on time, and I had to install once again my old OS, without upating anything. Is it possible that there's already an update for this nasty problem? Or should I finally buy myself more friendly video card, say, nvidia? ;)

Celeron 2.4, ASUS P4SDX, 512 RAM, Ati Radeon 9250

• 4 weeks later...

I have a system with an ATI 9200SE video card, and am having this exact same problem. I've tried other disto's, Fedora, Suse, Mandriva 2005, as well as the free download version of 2006, and they all work fine - at least it didn't have a horendous green & purple screen. I purchased Mandriva 2006, and now this. I don't suppose anyone can tell me how to fix ? :help: From the discussion above, it would appear the problem does have a fix. Many thanks for anyone who can help