Upgrading Firefox

michaelz92

Which version you want to install- and which Mandriva version you are using?

Autoupgrade shouldn't work properly, first because the tarball script would like to put files in different directories than the RPM, and second because you wouldn't have write permissions to the needed directories when running Firefox as plain user (unlike windows, where a default user has administrative rights).

I've you've not already, click the easy-urpmi link at top of page, and add repositories for main, contrib, jpackage, updates, plf-free and plf-nonfree.

Then you'll have pretty much all you need to get apps installed. You can then use System/Configuration/Software/Install Software to install, or MandrivaUpdate for updating your system. I usually apply all updates, but Install Software is where you will find Firefox.

You can upgrade your version of Firefox with easy urpmi. I know I did.

You may teach as "how" then, as both "main" and "updates" currently host Firefox 1.0.6 versions-only... :juggle:

To sum it up: If you want the latest and greatest, then bite the bullet and use Cooker- or else don't use Mandriva at all, but another "bleeding edge" distro- provided that you don't mind paying the "bleeding edge" price...

Mandriva is supposed to be n00b friendly and easy to use, so by definition it cannot be bleeding edge.

Edited by scarecrow

One of my common rants: an updated 1.0.6 in 2006 is the same as 1.0.7. All the updates are security patches. Just keep your system current. The only "new" version of Firefox is 1.5 and it is not out yet. When it comes out then it's time to upgrade, otherwise just keep your patches up to date. For what is is worth on my 2006 system my Firefox package is the 1.0.6 Mandriva package which is Firefox 1.0.7 (look at the help menu, about firefox). There have been too too many posts about this with insufficient reading of other posts. Rant over.

You can upgrade your version of Firefox with easy urpmi. I know I did.

You may teach as "how" then, as both "main" and "updates" currently host Firefox 1.0.6 versions-only... :juggle:

I'm sorry on that. You're absolutely right, I've had to check it. But I've used the cooker sources to upgrade Firefox and Thunderbird.

Sorry, next time I will add how upgraded. :woops:

Edited by Gul Dukat

Actually you CAN upgrade... for example the unofficial SeerOfSouls Mandriva repository does host 1.0.7 currently. It's backported from Cooker (that is: using the Cooker src.rpm, altering a bit the .spec file of the RPM, and then rebuilding the normal RPM for the specific architecture by the old, good "rpmbuild --rebuild" command), and while normally it should work without issues, I cannot guarantee that it will work 100%.

My suggestion though is waiting for Firefox 1.5 final, which will be released within days (maybe hours), and it's much faster than 1.0.X...

Edited by scarecrow

while the official upgrades from mandriva are labelled 1.0.6 on the outside they contain all patches from 1.0.7, it can be seen if you open about Mozilla Firefox it shows that it indeed is a 1.0.7:

Mine shows:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050921 Firefox/1.0.7 Mandriva/1.0.6-16.1.20060mdk (2006.0)

only the rpm is still called 1.0.6 (yes this IS confusing)

while the official upgrades from mandriva are labelled 1.0.6 on the outside they contain all patches from 1.0.7, it can be seen if you open about Mozilla Firefox it shows that it indeed is a 1.0.7:

Mine shows:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.10) Gecko/20050921 Firefox/1.0.7 Mandriva/1.0.6-16.1.20060mdk (2006.0)

only the rpm is still called 1.0.6 (yes this IS confusing)

no i did about firefox and it had 1.0.6 there..not 1.0.7

i have Easy-Urpmi installed also...so if you could tell me how to upgrade and how to install thunderbird also..thanks

If you've set up all the repositories, especially Updates, then you can go into System/Configuration/Software/MandrivaUpdate.

Then you can apply all updates, I would recommend this (Normal, Security and Bug Fixes). Firefox will be one of these, listed as Mozilla Firefox most likely.

you should have one source for updates, if you have not, then open (in the menu) system/configuration/software/Mandriva update, it's the package with the blue arrow, you should get a list with mirrors, choose one of them as your update source (it then loads a file named hdlist.cz or synthesis.hdlist.cz, which contains all package information on your comp), after that rpmdrake will show you all available updates for your system, choose them and then you should be up-to-date

whenever you want to update later click this icon again and it will directly search for updates, since you have already a configured update-source

for installing thunderbird (if it's not already installed): go to: install software, then search for mozilla-thunderbird

Edited by lavaeolus

Actually you CAN upgrade... for example the unofficial SeerOfSouls Mandriva repository does host 1.0.7 currently. It's backported from Cooker (that is: using the Cooker src.rpm, altering a bit the .spec file of the RPM, and then rebuilding the normal RPM for the specific architecture by the old, good "rpmbuild --rebuild" command), and while normally it should work without issues, I cannot guarantee that it will work 100%.

My suggestion though is waiting for Firefox 1.5 final, which will be released within days (maybe hours), and it's much faster than 1.0.X...

Just out of curiosity. B)

What's the difference with the Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird version in the cooker repositories?