Weird performance with openGL and 2006

cage47

I've read a few places where people have had similar experiences. I've got 2006 setup and working reasonably good. But I am afflicted with poorer openGL performance than in 10.0. This is the only hangup I have yet to work out in my 2006 install. glxgears shows I can get about 825 fps. This is comparable with my 10.0 install. However, now Chromium is dog slow. Unusable. It was descent in 10.0. Tuxracer won't even work in 2006, granted trying to use an rpm from 10.0 and 10.1. On a side note I am disappointed to see more and more of my favorite screensavers disappear with each subsequent release. I liked the old Pyro. It's gone. Then liked Solar wind. Thats gone too now. So I tried fireworks. Looks nice but here's my problem. The screensaver only appears in the upper 1/2 or less of the screen. And it's not just the one screensaver. I downloaded tuxsaver from kdelook.org. It loaded fine and works but performance is the same. Only the top portion of the screen. I've looked about updating my ati card's driver. However, my card is an older Rage 128. The newer drivers are only for the Radeon and higher. So it looks like I'm out of luck on that route. So any other ideas what to look for?

I had similar issues with my old-ish nVidia card that I solved by replacing the open nv driver with the proprietary one. I am not familiar with ATI though so do not know how you can get better drivers for it.

Looking at the FAQ on the ATI site they suggest a couple of sites worth looking at for older drivers have you tried these?

Leo

Edited by Leo

Well I changed my driver from the default xorg r128 driver to the dkms-ati driver included with the powerpack. At least now my opengl screensavers show on the full screen now. But performance is still poor. Chromium still works like it does on my old 400mhz machine. And with 10.0 it was good. And Solar Winds screensaver worked nice. Now it is dog slow. At least I found the other screensaver package to get pyro back.