Changing ownerships of folders permanently

hi,

I keep having to change the ownership and permissions for my /usr folder using chmod and chown. I have no problem changing these but they keep resetting back to their default values. I think this happens every time i log out and into KDE.

Is there any way I can perminently change the ownership of my /usr folder?

thanks for the help :)

The reason for this is probably the "security level" you chose. I don't know the details, but basically, you should have a file somewhere under /etc/msec/ or /etc/msec.d/ or something like that, in which the permissions for /usr are defined. Your best option is then probably to go and change that file... or create a custom "security level".

Yves.

or you can try to disable cron, msec depends on cron jobs, cron runs msec hourly or daily, or as how it was set. resetting any changes in ownership and others to its default state.. that if you dont need cron on other purpose..

I remember that security level can be found at MCC - security... then try to look at there...

thanks for the help guys.

About getting into the /usr folder: i think i may have done things wrong when i installed mandrake on my computer. I set up one root partition (/) and another partition mounted in /usr (which it had as the default option for a second partition). so what it is is that I have basically got my whole hard disk space in /usr.

When i log into KDE, I log is as "paulo" (which is not root obviously) and that means that i can't write files into my /usr drive unless i change the permissions each time for the user "paulo". I am the only user on my computer so i don't think that giving the user "paulo" access to that folder should be a problem, seeing as i can access the folder anyway as i know the root password. Could you explain what problems there might be with this?

Is there some way i can log into KDE as root? Have you got any tips as to how i can sort this out, or how i should set up my partitions?

again, thanks very much for all the help.

Paul

If you do a fresh install

you can do

10 GB /

1 GB swap

50 GB /home

/home is where you propably store the most (your private) stuff like mp3's, videos

/usr will be included in / in this setup, but for a non-server system I see no reason why it should be seperate

if you really like to have a seperate /usr (which means Unix System Root btw) make sure it has enough place, since many applications install their files (libraries and such things) in it

give it about 2 to 5 GB, depending on what you want to install on your box

5 GB /

1 GB swap

5 GB /usr

50 GB /home

could be a setup with a seperate /usr

my /usr is now at 1.3 GB, and I have a fairly typical Office-install with KDE, Gnome, OOo and some other apps

Edited by lavaeolus