NFS share

Jza

I got a desktop and laptop both running mandrake 2006, on my desktop I ran draknfs and I typed my laptop IP and Read-Only set to NO.

when I want to move a file to the NFS patition it says permission denied, is there any way I can make it able to run.

Edited by Jza

do you mean NTFS partition. if so, NTFS partitions are not writable within Linux(or you can but it is in BETA)..it is read only.

I said NFS Network File Sharing.

I ran draknfs and I shared some directories with the IP of my laptop but I can't write there. And I assigned Read-only to NO.

post-2044-1133098645_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jza

the problem is, if the partition or directory on the nfs-server does not have the correct file permissions for your user it wont let you write, make sure that you connect as a user who has rights to write in the directory

the problem is, if the partition or directory on the nfs-server does not have the correct file permissions for your user it wont let you write, make sure that you connect as a user who has rights to write in the directory

How can I do that, I currently have the /etc/exports are like this:

/home/jza/ *(no_all_squash,async,insecure,rw)

Any other thing that should be there?

Edited by Jza

the export looks ok (at least from the nfs-side)

you could put all the users that should have write access in the group users and make the local directory on the server writable for this group

sorry, I don't have a nfs-server at hand at the moment of this writing, so I can't tell you the exact permissions, but the above way should do it

the problem with nfs or samba is, you have your local file permissions and the file permissions of the network service, but if your local permissions prevent your user from writing to the directory, you can't write even if nfs or smb is configured to be writable

the local permissions supersede the permissions of the network service (smb, nfs)

example: local directory belongs to joe user and is writable for group users, exported through nfs with no_all_squash, rw

now jane user who does not belong to group users connects, she can't write on it until she becomes a member of the group users

yes, this sometimes is a pain in the a..

Edited by lavaeolus

the local permissions supersede the permissions of the network service (smb, nfs)

example: local directory belongs to joe user and is writable for group users, exported through nfs with no_all_squash, rw

now jane user who does not belong to group users connects, she can't write on it until she becomes a member of the group users

yes, this sometimes is a pain in the a..

OK I put some folders on Shared. Something like picture, hopes it works now.

post-2044-1133263388_thumb.jpg

just my suggestion, why not use sftp intstead? just enable sshd on both then type sftp://ip on konqueror and then enter user and password then you have all the access on your users home on that other box... no special config.. that is if main goal is just for file transfer

Following up on aioshin's suggestion, as long as you have ssh set up, you can also just type:

fish://<insert ip of remote box>

in the address bar of konqueror and do the smae thing. You will also be prompted for your user name and password. For the occasional simple file transfer, it's easier than setting up nsf.

Do your user ID numbers match up on the server and the client? If not, then your permissions will be all over the place. I had this effect when trying to set up shared directories between two computers at home, but deleting the users and recreating them with the right IDs solved the problem.

Do your user ID numbers match up on the server and the client?

Oh, yes I forgot on this, the usernames are mostly irrelevant, the UIDs are what matters, but since I have all users on my systems configured with the same ID's (LDAP is your friend), I did not think of this, sorry