Garbled Cracklesound

Guest BarryFandango

Guest BarryFandango

Hi! I posted the 100+ pager about my soundcard yesterday, no wonder i got no responses... Anyways that problem's fixed, here's a much easier one (I hope!)

My card is a midiman audiophile 2496, supported under ALSA driver ICE1712. My Mandrake 9 install was smart enough to include ALSA and put some lines in my modules.conf referring to ICE. But for the last week the only sound coming from my apartment has been the rhythmic thumping of my head against the wall.

I downloaded all the ALSA utils and installed them. Loaded up ALSAMixerGUI, which has about 30 different channels on it for some reason (this card has stereo in/out, spdif in/out, that's all.) As Xmms played an MP3 silently in the background i fiddled with the various faders and buttons, and when I hit the button to "mute" the channel called "Multi Track IEC958 Master" Kablammo! Crackly sound started coming out of the speakers and just about gave me a heart attack. Why muting a channel would make sound come out, i have no idea. Now that the sound plays, it seems that the sliders marked "DAC" and "DAC 1" control the left and right channels respectively. none of the other sliders do anything.

So: sound comes out. It's audible, seems to be at the correct speed. There's just a bunch of crackle and garbledness along with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

BarryFandango

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have the small cable from the back of the cdrom to the sound card installed. Its normaly needed for the playing of audio cd's in linux. Linux doesn't digitaly read and replay the sound like windows does it uses the cable to go directly to the card. This saves processor power for other stuff.

Sorry but thats all I can think of now.

Guest BarryFandango

Ok, I've got sound! For some reason the sound stopped being crackly when i switched the sound server from "Advanced Linux Sound Architecture" to OOS or Threaded or Autodetect. Strange, since I thought i was using ALSA... but apparently ALSA provides an OSS interface so I guess that's what was needed. Weird.

The final step now is to get the line-in to play through (i've got a dj setup plugged into the line-in.) If I can listen to records whle using linux then all will be well with the world.

- The m-audio card i'm using has a pretty robust routing architecture, so i'm not sure if making this next step work is going to be easy. Is there an ALSA experts forum anywhere on the internet that anybody knows about?

- Is there a digital CD player for linux? The card doesn't have a CD-in so that's my only option.

Thats expected behavior since the version of ALSA that came with mdk-9.0 was 0.9rc3 which was buggy. I know that with my via686b audio, esound gave crackled/garbled sound with these drivers even though it worked fine with the ALSA0.9rc2 and ALSA0.9rc4 (and later) versions.

Actually ndeb, during bootup i can see that i'm loading RC2.
To be very precise, it is a cvs version of ALSA that is post 0.9rc2 and pre 0.9rc3. But its got the bad qualities of 0.9rc3.
Looking at http://www.alsa-project.com i can see that we're up to RC7 - should I install that? Would anything explode if i did? Might it fix my problem?
I would strongly suggest using the latest ALSA0.9rc7.

I am using them and things are just fine.

Guest BarryFandango

Ok, I got the following files from the alsa project site:

- alsa-driver-0.9.0rc7.tar.bz2

- alsa-lib-0.9.0rc7.tar.bz2

- alsa-tools-0.9.0rc7.tar.bz2

- alsa-utils-0.9.0rc7.tar.bz2

After a few days of using Linux for the first time i can install rpm's using KPackage, but I don't know what to do with these. How do I install them?

thanks

james

Sure! At the top of the page there's a "Old Docs" link>Installing Software>Installing Software section. If it doesn't have any thing on .bz2's you'll still need it for the .tar's. For the bz2's, take a look at

man bunzip2

or is it

bzip2 --help

man bzip2

I think it's one of those :oops:

been a while, but if I remember correctly;

bunzip2 alsa-driver-0.9.0rc7.tar.bz2

will give you a tar to unpack

Is always good to learn the term way, but there's also ark, and file-roller, if you want a gui app to do the work. They're on the cd's.

Actually, it's much easier to use 'tar':

tar -jxvf filename.tar.bz2

Then cd to the new directory and read the README and INSTALL files. The typical commands to install are:

$ ./configure [hit ENTER]

$ make [hit ENTER]

$ su [hit ENTER]

Password: [enter your root password][hit ENTER]

# make install

Of course, the '$' and the '#' are just the prompts, not something you actually type and anything between [ ] are just actions.

So, you can do this:

$ tar -jxvf name-of-file.tar.bz2 [ENTER]

$ cd [type in new directory name][ENTER]

$ cat README | more [ENTER]

[hit q to exit the cat command]

$ cat INSTALL | more [ENTER]

hit q to exit the cat command

And you should be on yer own from there.

For digital play of CDs you can use xmms but you have to set it up to do so. Dolson has put together a nice tutorial which is very easy to follow:

http://icculus.org/~dolson/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/digitalcdx

unfortunately his link to the 9.0 rpm is no good :( alas, you CAN find it here:

http://rpmfind.net//linux/RPM/mandrake/9.0...-2mdk.i586.html