Ethernet [solved]

satelliteuser083

I have a pcmcia card for which there is no entry in /etc/pcmcia/config. "cardctl ident" provides the following info:

product info: "Xircom", "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56", "CEM56", "1.00"

manfid: 0x0105, 0x110a

function: 2 (serial)

Can anyone help with the appropriate entry? I've tried the follwing, with no success:

card "Xircom CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56"

version "Xircom", "CreditCard Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56", "CEM56", "1.00"

manfid: 0x0105, 0x110a

bind "xirc2ps_cs"

Perhaps I should have used 'bind "serial_cs"' but I thought that applied only to the modem part.

Have you tried running System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake or choosing Hardware from within MCC and seeing if it's detected correctly in here, and has a module loaded.

If the module is loaded, it should mention next to it, and you might have a Run Config Tool button to configure the card up maybe.

I don't tend to use PCMCIA myself, but have a go, and see if that helps a little bit. Just want to see whether it's got a module in HardDrake.

Sorry, I should have looked more carefully. The Xircom CEM56 DOES have an entry in /etc/pcmcia/config, under "Multifunction cards" and, of course, HardDrake HAD loaded the approp. module. Nevertheless, thanks for the tip on the Run Config Tool button; there was one, I ran Config and, at the next boot, eth2 was brought up [OK]. Unfortunately eth2 didn't provide internet access, but when I removed the cable from the CEM56 and inserted it into eth0, the latter came up. Perhaps there's a conflict if both eth0 and eth2 are up? :unsure:

Edited by satelliteuser083

Shouldn't be a conflict. Was the card set to just get an IP via DHCP, or did you assign static IP Address to eth2?

You'd also need to ensure DNS entries and Default Gateway on eth2, to ensure an internet connection via this card.

The only time your likely to see a problem with two cards is if they both have the same IP Address, then they will conflict and one will disconnect. Or at least should do......

Just a couple of other points. Your comment about a problem with two cards if they both have the same IP Address led me to look at the card's parameters, and they do look suspiciously similar. Here they are:

These data are from MCC-> Network & Internet-> Reconfigure a network (Manage Connections)

[[ eth0: Intel Corp EtherExpress PRO/100]]

-->>> Tab TCP/IP:

Protocol: DHCP

IP address: No IP (grey)

Netmask: No Mask (grey)

Gateway: blank

DNS Servers: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

Search Domain: nott.cable.ntl.com

-->>> Tab DHCP:

DHCP client: dhclient

Assign host...DHCP address (selected)

DHCP Host Name: blank

DHCP timeout: blank

Get DNS...DHCP: (selected)

Get YP...DHCP (unselected)

Get NTPD...DHCP (unselected)

-->>> Tab Options:

Start at boot (selected)

Track network card id (selected)

Network Hotplugging (selected)

-->>> Tab Information:

Vendor: Intel Corp

Description: EtherExpress PRO/100

Media class: NETWORK_ETHERNET

Module name: eepro100

Mac Address: 00:00:39:4a:74:8d

Bus: PCI

Location on the bus: 2

[[eth2: Xircom CEM56 Ethernet/Modem]]

-->>> Tab TCP/IP:

Protocol: DHCP

IP address: No IP (grey)

Netmask: No Mask (grey)

Gateway: blank

DNS Servers: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

Search Domain: nott.cable.ntl.com

-->>> Tab DHCP:

DHCP client: dhclient

Assign host...DHCP address (selected)

DHCP Host Name: blank

DHCP timeout: blank

Get DNS...DHCP: (selected)

Get YP...DHCP (unselected)

-->>> Tab Options:

Start at boot (selected)

Track network card id (selected)

Network Hotplugging (selected)

-->>> Tab Information:

Vendor: Xircom CEM56 Ethernet/Modem

Description: Xircom CEM56 Ethernet/Modem

Media class: (blank)

Module name: xirc2ps_cs

Mac Address: 00:10:a4:04:a0:25

Bus: (blank)

Location on the bus: (blank)

As you can see, the DNS Server and Search Domain parameters are identical; could this be causing some conflict or another? Another curious thing is that MCC allows me to remove eth1 (wireless) and eth2 (Xircom CEM56) connections (and they are subsequently not started at boot) but refuses to allow eth0 to be removed. Strange?

No, the DNS Servers won't cause any problems. This is just purely for name resolution.

What I'd be tempted to do for network cards is only configure one of them with a default gateway and DNS entries, since these will be the only ones required for this machine to access the internet.

The other card, I would then configure with just an IP address and Subnet mask. However, this means assigning static IP Address to one of the cards and leaving DHCP for the other if you prefer. I tend to use static all the time, is far easier than worrying about the machine picking up an IP address. Plus, it never changes, and as I have a number of machines, I prefer each machine to remain the same.

Will try your suggestion. I assume that an IP address would be, e.g. 194.168.4.100 (what would be the advantage/disadvantage in using the other one?), but what about the Subnet mask? Would the default value of 255.255.255.0 be suitable, and what is the mask's function, anyway?

By the way, does anyone have any experience with a Linksys EtherFast PCMPC200 v2 pcmcia card (under LE2005 preferably); this one IS in /etc/pcmcia/config and may be easier to configure, being a single-interface card..

You'd need to use an internal IP Address, private. These being like 192.168.x.x.

For example, my router by default comes as 192.168.0.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

So my PC's would be configured as:

IP - 192.168.0.2 (or .3, .4, .5 and so on for additional machines).

Subnet - 255.255.255.0

Gateway - 192.168.0.1

The gateway is the router IP and is what provides my internet connection.

Subnet mask is required to define how many IP's are available. So as below:

255.255.255.0 (Class C Subnet - 24 bit) = 254 IP's available.

255.255.0.0 (Class B Subnet - 16 bit) = 64516 IP's available.

255.0.0.0 (Class A Subnet - 8 bit) = 16387064 IP's available.

Class C is enough for home use, as you're unlikely to be using more than 254 connected machines.

Well ...... I think you've done it :thumbs: I followed your instructions and then rebooted the system ten times; the network came up every time. The tower has not failed once, either. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed, but my confidence is high. Many thanks!!

The following is not really important, but a solution would be helpful: on turning the network-connection on or off via the task-bar icon, it is necessary to enter the root-password. Is it possible to give the necessary permission to a SPECIFIC user and thereby avoid this necessity?

When you go into MCC and HardDrake and configure for the ethernet card, I think towards the end it asks a question about do you want normal users to disable/enable this and you can choose yes or no. I've seen this both in LE2005 and 2006, so if you say yes, normal users can do it without supplying root password!

Glad it's all working :P

• 1 month later...

A really strange thing is happening with LE2005 (on a different hdd). Following your suggestion I managed to configure the network-connection on the other hdd so that a root-password was unnecessary; now trying the same on this disk, it WILL NOT WORK. :angry: I must have deleted the network connection and re-installed it at least 5 times, all to no avail; every time that I disconnect/connect eth0 the password is required. This situation is not at all important, but I clearly did something last time which was correct - quite accidentally - but I can't for the life of me remember what it was :unsure:. Any tips?