Sound works for 1 user but not another [solved]

cwaltrs

I am able to play CDs and system sounds as one user, but neither works when I log in as a second user. Nothing appears to be muted for the silent user. When I play a CD as the silent user, I get the error:

ksCD: CD-ROM read or access error (or no audio disk in drive)

Please make sure you have access permissions to /dev/hdc.

The same CD plays for my good user.

By the way, the perms are the same for both (though the owner's different of course:

brw-rw---- 1 mythtv cdrom 22, 0 Nov 14 08:40 hdc

Most distros make a special group for optical drive access (named, for example, "cdwriter" or "optical" or something like that- you get the point).

There's also another group named "audio" whose membership enables a normal user receiving alsa events.

The first user created in the majority of these distros is autoinserted in these groups, while the second one created may not (why? dunno, ask them).

So, checkout if the "silent" user belongs to these two groups.

Guys, this feature to have the audio devices (and other devices) attributed to the first user to log on is a typical Unix/Linux thing.

This is not wrong, but for limited pc use as people are used to with MSWindows this doesn't make as much sense.

However, as soon as you have remote logons and such, you don't want the local audio used for those remote users. And, you'll want to have the local hardware to the use of the local user. Imagine the problems if a second user could occupy and block the audio from the main user...

All,

Thanks for the replies, but it's still not working. My users (silent and sound-enabled) were only in their own self-named groups. I added my silent user to every group that looked multi-media friendly.

A bit more info may help. The sound generally functions. For example, a tune plays when I play solitaire. However, I don't get any system sounds and I'm not able to play a CD.

I used to get systems sounds on startup, system bells, etc. That all changed (I think) when I swapped out the motherboard and inadvertently left the integrated sound disabled on the board when I first booted up with the new board. I've since enabled the sound board and the other users work fine.

Here's the id output for my silent user:

uid=504(mythtv) gid=504(mythtv) groups=7(lp),19(floppy),22(cdrom),80(cdwriter),81(audio),82(video),504(mythtv)

I appreciate the help,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...