At My Linux Wits Ends...

sunnyjamiel

Well, three days ago I gave Suse Live CD a shot for the fitst time ever, entering into the world of linux and I liked the feel of this OS. So after lot of reading online I decided to download Mandriva 2006 and install it.

Now here is the background.

1. I'm ABSOLUTELY new to linux.

2. I DEFINATELY wanna learn this OS

3. I'm on a Dell Inspiron 510m laptop with Win XP Home

4. 40 GB hard disk. 20 GB NTFS where Win XP Home is installed and 20 GB FAT 32, which is empty.

The current status is that I downloaded the FTP tree /Mandrakelinux/official/2006.0/i586 which gave me directories such as,

doc/

dosutils/

install/

isolinux/

lang/

media/

misc/

and files, such as,

autorun.info

COPYING

default.xbe

export

index.htm

install.htm

INSTALL.txt

linuxboot.cfg

MD5SUM

What I wanna know is that,

1. Can I install Mandriva 2006 in my 20GB free FAT32 partition WITHOUT touching the 20 GB NTFS Primary Partition where Win XP is already installed? I want to be able to use both Linux and XP in a dual OS setup.

2. Can I install Mandriva 2006 right from the Hard Disk from the FTP tree that I downloaded? If yes, how?

3. If I have to burn cds then how to make CD1, CD2 etc. I mean which files n directories should go where?

I'll be grateful for your guidance helping me take my first step towards being a linux user.

Thanks

P.S. I have read whatever i found related to my above questions like http://fhj52.tripod.com/linux/MDK_HD_INSTALL.html and https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showforum=7 but couldn't really get a STEP-BY-STEP reply for exactly the info I require. So PLEASE H.E.L.P.

Welcome to the board :beer:

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes, you can have Linux and Windows XP no problem. However, the FAT32 partition will have to be deleted so that Linux can be installed there. Any data needs to be moved off of it so you don't lose it.

2. Not sure, never done it. There are better ways. You'd have been better off downloading the LE2005 ISO and installing by booting from the CD in the normal way, you could then use the installer to delete the FAT32, and configure the partitions required for Linux. You could then upgrade to 2006 later, by using urpmi.

3. If you install LE2005 first, you only need CD1 to get going with the basics. The rest can be done using urpmi.

That's a minimal install, you'd probably be better off with the normal CD1, than the mini. I'm not entirely sure what the mini installs. To me sounds like minimal install, which might not include a GUI for you to work with.

There should be one listed for CD1.

Hi ianw1974,

Thanks again.

You mean the set of these 3 CDs?

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD1.i586.iso

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD2.i586.iso

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-CD3.i586.iso

Or

Mandriva-Linux-2005-Limited-Edition-Download-DVD.i586.iso

As for DVD I dont know how will I go about it. I only have a CD Writer and a blank 700 MB CD with me.

If it's the above set of 3 Cds I'll need 3 blank Cds then. Or would just the CD1.iso be enough?

Kindly Clarify.

Just download the CD1.iso above you mentioned. The other two are if you want to install lots more, but if it prompts you for other CD's, you can just cancel it anyway.

The rest you can download anyway. You ideally want to upgrade to 2006 later anyhow, so no point with the other two CD'.s

I'll help you with the upgrade process once you got CD1 installed.

Once you have got the Operating System installed, and running, you need to add your easyurpmi sources.

There is a link at the top of the page. What I suggest you do first though, is type this at the prompt before adding them:

su (type root password when prompted)
urpmi.removemedia -a

this will make sure any existing LE2005 sources are removed.

Then go to the easyurpmi link above, and make sure you choose 2006, i586 and then follow it through. Now copy the text, line by line, and paste into a konsole (terminal) window as root (by typing su and root password before pasting the text).

You should be adding sources for main, contrib, jpackage, plf-free, plf-nonfree and updates. This is what each line you'll be pasting into the window. Make sure you copy all, as I think some lines wrap onto two lines.

Then, once done, at the prompt type:

urpmi --auto-select --auto

this will complete the upgrade to 2006. Before rebooting, make sure you go into System/Configuration/Software/Install Software and install kernel-2.6.12.12 and then finally reboot after the upgrade.

1. Ok what exactly is meant by "at the prompt"? As far as I know (and if there is Konqueror installed) the prompt is simply where we type the URL. Right?

2. "Konsole (terminal) window" is same as "the prompt" above. Correct?

3. "Go into System/Configuration/Software/Install Software and install kernel-2.6.12.12" means I use the KDE to go to the location above and then how to install kernel? Will there be a choice for it there or something or is it some other file I need to download?

Sorry if it seems too newbeeish but thas who I am as far linux goes so thanks for your patience.

The prompt is the prompt in a terminal environment like gterm, konsole, etc. or a non-graphical environment (that is: only text and nothing else)

For installing the kernel, open the Mandriva Control Center (MCC) and do as told above. Download the kernel and the system will install it automatically.

Hi sunnyjamiel,

If you feel like doing some reading you may be interested to know that I was in exactly this position not so very long ago, (I also have a Dell Inspiron 510m), and I've written some pages on how I went from XP Home to Mandriva LE2005. I've now got a dual-boot system, with XP still where it was (not being run very often now :D) and Mandriva on the other partitions. I also made a VFAT 'transfer' partition so I can transfer files to and from if necessary.

Anyway, read if you like, the most interesting bits for you will probably be the "installation" and "running" sections for now:

http://www.geocities.com/firsttimelinux/

*cough* (own-website-plug) *cough*

Read the bit about 855resolution too, it looks soooo much better when it can use the full 1400x1050 resolution of the screen (assuming that's what you've got).

:beer:

Thanks Guys.

neddie, I'm currently at your site reading all your stuff. Thanks for the link.

Got a question though, How come your 510m got 1400x1050 resolution and I'm unable to go beyond 1024x768? I checked System Info and they say I got;

1. Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller, Resolution 1024x768x60 hertz, Bits/Pixel 16

So I cant go beyond 1024x768 that means?

So bad :angry:

There were 3 options when I bought my 510m. 14.1" XGA (1024x768), 15" XGA (1024x768) or 15" SXGA (1400x1050). You could specify at buy time which option you wanted (with variations in price, naturally!). Check your XP, that will be set up to drive your monitor's max resolution. If you haven't got 1400x1050 then you probably don't need the 855resolution patch.

Yes, I have the same Intel 855 chip as you, the 855resolution patch was written exactly for this chipset.