Help with IP address

Pwnious

No, you just change it from DHCP to Static in the networking section.

What version of Linux are you running on your machine? If Mandrake/Mandriva, go into System/Configuration/Hardware/HardDrake, and then select the network card, click Run Config, and you can make the changes in there.

It may also be that your ISP changes your external IP address (I have no idea what teamspeak is). If that's the case you'll probably need to contact them for a static address - which costs a little each month. The other option is to look at one of the dynanmicDNS services out there (some of which are free).

Isn't there a program that sets it as static or something.

If this is a linux server, you can run a dhcp program that will watch for if your IP changes, and if it does, have it perform certain operations/commands, launch scripts, etc.

does anyone know what the program is?

I need to understand your configuration of your network. Whats your internet connection provided by? Router?

Do you have a hardware Firewall?

Is NAT enabled on the Router?

Is NAT Enabled on the firewall?

Are you saying your teamspeak server has an external public internet address?

Let's back this up by one level. Why do you want it to be static externally?

If it is so that you can access your machine from outside your local network, then there are solutions which are available which don't actually need a real static network address, and which may be easier to set up and more suitable.

One of these is DynDNS, which, IIRC, IanW pointed me at some time ago.

This associates a host name with your machine, and you run a little client which updates the name table at DynDNS.com if your ip address changes. This allows your IP address to change (hence no additional charges from your ISP), but also gives you a static name which you can use to refer to your machine.

I use this to get ssh access to my home machine from work.

Take a look at www.dyndns.com for more information.

Let's back this up by one level. Why do you want it to be static externally?

I agree, it shouldn't require external IP. Just natting on Firewall will sort the rest out, and give the Firewall and external IP address to be used to redirect to the teamspeak server. Far more secure this way.